Xone DB4 Channel Gain problem.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Xone DB4 Channel Gain problem.

Hi I am new to forums so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong area.

I have just purchased a Allen and Heath Xone DB4 mixer. What I can not work out though is how to adjust the volume levels of each channel. I am a DJ and I do not mix with the crossfader. I use the channel faders to bring in the mix and fade it out. So using these to control the overall volume levels is out of the question. I normally use the master gain of each channel to balance out the volume and make sure that one tune is not overpowering the other. The DB4 does not seem to have this function on it at all. It has a master trim button but all this seems to do on mine is amplify the sound from a basic level sound which is quite loud already. I have this trim/amp button turned all the way down as is very loud to begin with anyway and clips at just half the full turn that it can do. I know that I can use the tops, mids and low buttons to control the volume, but this is just too long winded as I will have to turn three buttons instead of one to get the desired result.

Does anyone know how to get around this on this mixer or am I doing something wrong? Also is this a common thing with Allen and Heath mixers? Not to have an individual master gain for each channel that totally kills the sound. Sorry for the story long question but I would love for any help you can give me.

I have 2 x CDJ1000 mk3 plugged into the digital part of the mixer. This is where I am having problems. I also have 2 x Technics 1210 plugged in via phono and I have just checked and I do not have this problem. These volumes are very quiet and I have a full range of kill via the trim button to turn it up a lot. Maybe this is caused cause I am using digital????

Row
    Last edited by ROW004; 09-22-2011 at 05:57 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Don't have a DB4, but I had a quick look at the manual to see if I could see anything that might help. You can adjust the trim level in the menu. Have you tried that? Is the volume to loud in your headphones, booth output or mains? I believe each of those has an adjustment in the menu as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Hi thanks for looking for me.

The problem is with the main volume output. Even the master and channel volume levels (flashing lights) are on or just over the recommended levels. Any more and you would be entering the clipping zone.

I have tried adjusting the trim in the menu. All this seems to do is reduce the overall volume output. So basically the volume will then be limited and the trim button will still clip where it would have anyway (if that made sense) This would also not help at all if you were playing vinyl as that too would be limited.

When I play a record deck I can turn the trim all the way up and the total volume of this deck is still not as loud as the CD deck (via digital) with the trim turned all the way down. So basically the CD deck will always overpower the vinyl deck. There seems to be no way of reducing the individual channels passed what is allowed. I think that it is a digital thing seeing as digital is almost streamless sound.

Row
    Last edited by ROW004; 09-22-2011 at 06:51 AM.

The record decks are set to phono correct?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Convert

Yes that's correct. The record decks are set to phono and the CD decks are set to digital.

There's a couple of DB4 owners on here, hopefully they can help.
    Chris Jennings FHP

I know what you mean about the standard trim being pretty high with some sources, but I've mostly used software adjustable inputs. I'll see if I can find another way around when I get home tonight. Are the CDJ levels too high with RCA as well as digital ins?

Tech Convert

Thanks for your help Photojojo really appreciate it.

Hi DigitalDevil,

Yes the RCA levels are quite high as well. A lot higher than the vinyl levels. Not that far off the digital levels to be honest.

This is the first digital mixer I have had. Is this a common problem with digital do you know?

I have not had this problem on the three digital mixers I've owned (Evo 5, DN-X1700, and DDM4000), but every one of them had an option in the digital menus to adjust the amount of boost the sound was getting from the mixer (in 3dB increments as I recall). So in the case of the DN-X1700 for example, it was actually too quiet on one of the inputs when I first got it, but I was able to boost that from the menu.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

the output of a turntable varies radically with the type of cartridge/stylus being used. what are you currently running and what mV is it rated for?

if you would like a quick solution to your issue, pick up a set of shure M44-7's or similar high output carts (the 44-7 is rated at 9.5mV).

MoMo is running ortofon arkivs and elektro's which are -2 mV down on the 44-7 and has gain for days.

there are firmware update in progress that will address the gain structure of the phono preamp for low output carts. bpm is quite close at hand, so more will be revealed then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast