Organising files titles
    Tech Guru

Default Organising files titles

Anyone know if there's a way to organise your files so that the track title comes before the artist on downloaded tracks? I remember track titles better than I do artist names and so would like the track title to come before the artist name. Especially when using CDJ 2000's. I'm constantly having to manually change the titles so that the track title comes first so I can find what I'm looking for on the screen.

Also, when I drag a tune out of itunes and drop it say on my desktop a lot of the time there's a number at the start of the file name that itunes has put on it. Is there a way to stop this?

It's draining a lot of time having to manually sort this shit out.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

iTunes has the option called Preferences-Advanced-Keep iTunes Media folder organized. If you enable that and change the title of the track, the iTunes media folder will update the internal contents so that every time you change the track name, the final file name reflects the track name.

I assume we are talking about WAV files, MP3 and AAC will use ID track info from the file itself.

I usually have a separate iTunes library with my DJ WAV files (called The Crate, heh) where I drop newly purchased or made tracks. Then I rename the title using a prefix like 28-8 Name of the title. Oh, I wrote about that somewhere, here:

http://kentsandvik.tumblr.com/post/9...wav-crate-file

PS: If you follow my tumblr account to tweets, btw, I will dump out a lot of techno/tech house and similar related loops that's been sitting on my hard disk for a while for public consumption.

Tech Guru

Ok, I've got a few questions about this. First off I'll start with the lamest....is it best to stick with WAV files all the time? They're going to be the best quality for the job right?

Is it best to organise your music outside of itunes? Or just stick to it in itunes itself?

Reckon I'd do a similar method to how ksandvik has done it (but with tags like 'banger' etc in the comments to make it easier to search for?), then make playlists for genre, most likely every month to keep it fresh. And on top of that if I was to make a mix, make a playlist for that so its straight forward in Traktor. Does that sound viable?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Ok, I've got a few questions about this. First off I'll start with the lamest....is it best to stick with WAV files all the time? They're going to be the best quality for the job right?
    I rip to FLAC. Any lossless format will preserve the quality. FLAC offers the advantages of begin portability tag-able. FLAC is also 50-60% the size of a wav file. That may or may not be interesting based on the price of disc space and the size of your music collection.

I convert from FLAC to mp3 as needed.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    I rip to FLAC. Any lossless format will preserve the quality. FLAC offers the advantages of begin portability tag-able. FLAC is also 50-60% the size of a wav file. That may or may not be interesting based on the price of disc space and the size of your music collection.

I convert from FLAC to mp3 as needed.
    I'm more thinking about the format I download it in? I'm a complete noob at this as I'm just used to downloading standard MP3's.

If you are using cdj 2000s are you using USBs or SDs? If so can't you just use rekord box and look through your tracks via track title?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    If you are using cdj 2000s are you using USBs or SDs? If so can't you just use rekord box and look through your tracks via track title?
    I'll be using a controller and Traktor mate

EDIT: Another slightly related question. If you set up cues in Traktor say, does it save it for next time you bring the track up?
    Last edited by KS2; 02-06-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    I'm more thinking about the format I download it in? I'm a complete noob at this as I'm just used to downloading standard MP3's.
    Prefer to download in wav...then convert to FLAC for long term storage. Add everything you can find to the tags.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Cheers mate, that sounds good to me.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar