Sample Mix

Thread: Sample Mix

Tech Student

Default Sample Mix

Hey guys, here is a mix I made recently. I just started attempting to make mixes so I am always looking for new techniques and advice. Any constructive criticism welcomed.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanvuthatouch/random-mix

Tracklist:
    Calling - Alesso/Sebastian Ingrosso
    Louder than words- Afrojack
    Save the World Acapella- Swedish House Mafia
    Save the World (Zedd Remix)- Swedish House Mafia
    Move for first aid (Kaskade Mashup)- Kaskade/Deadmau5
    White noise red meat- Dada Life
    Without you (R3hab XS remix)- David Guetta
    Koko Prutataa (Dada Life Remix)- Sander van Doorn/r3hab/afrojack
    Awooga - Calvin Harris
    Flashback Acapella - Calvin Harris
    Pressure- Alesso

Banned

Forget mixing techniques, look into finding more original music and building your collection first.

Tech Student

Sorry, I just like these songs. I guess I lean more towards the more popular songs because they are very appealing to me. However, I do like quite a few mashups and remixes.

Tech Wizard

Um, the accapella on the first bit of calling was ok, needs to be louder, the second accapella wasnt as good, didnt really match the song and in my mind two different accapellas on the same track isnt right.

The transition from Calling to STW was too extreme, you should think about bringing it in during buildup, just loop it on 4 beats and fade it in slowly then lower the loops with the roll-up on Calling then drop it that way.

The transition from STW (Zedd) to Move for me was pretty for a beginner to be honest (Not trying to patrinice you....Patrinese?... you know what I mean). Same as the Move for me to White noise transition,white noise to without you, good dropin in the track. The drop into Prutta was abit rough, your flow of energy is good though on to awooga.

Accapella on Awooga was just way to slow... you should have sped it up abit and just cued the right lines it.

Awooga to pressure was ok,abit brash on it.

Overall Id say its a good mix for a beginner, its good in its progression from the first half but it doesnt seem to be going anywhere.
    Like the guy above me said, a wider song selection and a focus on a pattern and flow of energy going up and down will help. Try not to think about dropping accapellas as much, focus on cutting a song down to the best bits of energy when doing a short mix.

Im a beginner myself but i know what its like on DJTT posting on a song asking for advice and people just say something like... "I dont like that song" Personally your not really caring for there opinion on a song, your looking for advice on the actual mix!

Keep it up though, just cut the tracks smaller and try not to drop so many accapellas and songs.
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Student

Thank you Livemau5, so I should do more blending into drops instead of just dropping a new song to change the pace. I appreciate all of the useful information. I am still learning and the input is greatly appreciated. I will keep practicing and try making another mix later down the road.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by d1nki View Post
    Thank you Livemau5, so I should do more blending into drops instead of just dropping a new song to change the pace. I appreciate all of the useful information. I am still learning and the input is greatly appreciated. I will keep practicing and try making another mix later down the road.
    Yeah, your drops are good as ive said but it can make the flow of energy uneven on the dance floor or the oppisite, a stagment of energy without a break for the dancers to have a breather! haha

But besides that its good, your not doing that gay ass fade in fade out without doing any beatmatching that lots of beginners think is them pro. Keep it up!
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers