Kontrol S4 or Kontrol S2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Kontrol S4 or Kontrol S2

So I was all ready to buy the Kontrol S4 when they announced the S2. I am now torn. I had an Numark Stealth that I really didn't like and sold. Now I am using just the keyboard, Launchpad (with midifighter mapping) an a midifighter. I am not sure if I NEED all the extras the S4 has, cause I haven't played with it, but I can't find a really good head to head comparison of the two controllers. I like the extra sample buttons and the loop recorder interface on the S4, but the S2 being more portable matters as well. The cost difference isn't so big as to make the choice alone, yet it's not so small as to say "Just get the S4". The S4 seems to be more of a live performance/production machine versus a more true DJ set up of the S2.
    Any opinions?

a good comparison has to be NI's own one... http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...-s2/?page=2901

main diffs seem to be:

* 2 deck control no 4 on S2
    * no filter knobs on S2
    * timecode not possible on S2
    * no dedicated loop recorder on S2
    * less displays on S2
    * control of 4 not 8 hot cues on the S2
    * 40 buttons verses 66
    * 27 knobs verses 40

so really depends on how much this stuff is worth to u... the only person who knows how u mix is u
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

If money is not an issue I would say get the s4 as IMO I would rather have the extra's & not use them Than be left wanting the extra's. plus the advantage of being able to incorporate tt or ddj's is an extra bonus. Plus you have control over all the the individual sample decks (volume, eq, filter)

But the s2 is apparently custom mappable which is a plus. but lets hope for all the s4 users that this becomes capable with the s4 also.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaniac View Post
    If money is not an issue I would say get the s4 as IMO I would rather have the extra's & not use them Than be left wanting the extra's. plus the advantage of being able to incorporate tt or ddj's is an extra bonus. Plus you have control over all the the individual sample decks (volume, eq, filter)

But the s2 is apparently custom mappable which is a plus. but lets hope for all the s4 users that this becomes capable with the s4 also.
    i think the two main reasons for going for the s2 over the s4 are price and size. the s4 is mahoosive

could well be that the s2 is more practical for playing out in clubs.

tho having said that if i had the cash i'd probably choose the s4 . not really into 4 deck mixing but i know i could find cunning uses for the extra knobs and buttons...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I'd say an S2. Portability is pretty key for me.

NI will almost certainly bring out an X2 which will have the extra features.

Even the x1 has a sampler deck mapping.

So you don't have to feel like you'll never have access to them as you're only one complimentary controller away from solving that issue.

And then if you don't need em you got a more compact controller
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

I know this thread is more or less dead but I am stuck in a bind deciding if i want the s2 or the s4. I have a kontrol x1 already that i used with my cdjs and korg zero4 mixer (it blows) and i cant get it all to work and record my mixes because there is only one audio out on the mixer. Anyways I was wondering if I could just get the s2 and use that along with the x1 to control four decks/sample.... Any help would be great thanks

Save for the S4 if you want future-proof options to expand decks.
    Soundcloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/formulaoneowns

Please, check me out!

Tech Mentor

Buy the S2 and an F1 with the change. I think thats the best option
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Tech Wizard

I'd definitely go with the S2 as long as you get it before it goes back up to 600. Otherwise I'd probably sell the x1 and put it toward an s4.

Tech Wizard

Ahhhh its so hard to decide! Haven't looked much into the f1.... is the software that comes with the s2 up to par... I have traktor scratch duo 2 now and its alright....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast