HID to MIDI

Thread: HID to MIDI

Default HID to MIDI

Been using the M-Audio X-Session Pro for my digital mixing needs and get by just fine with it... However I found a ION I-CUE at a garage sale today for $20 and figured I scored! Jog-wheels would be a BONUS!!! Got it home only to find out it is not a MIDI device, but an HID device which is built specifically to work with Numark CUE, burn...

I remember reading something about porting joysticks to midi and was wondering if anyone knew of a method to enable the I-CUE to act as a MIDI device?

Would like to use it on my laptop (Compaq F700 AMD Turion x2 1.9ghz, running Windows Vista SP1) however I also have a Mac (iMac Intel x2 2.4ghz, running Leopard 10.5)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ry

Tech Mentor

I found Junxion to work pretty well on OS X. Ean listed a few for mac and pc on the dj101 tutorial here.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/02/0...r-25/#more-195
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

sssnice, thanks laurens!

will post back as to my success...

Tech Wizard

hey - looking forward to hearing about this, i'd like to do the same with my icdx but haven't got round to figuring it out yet!

Ok so here's the deal, Ive been playing around with this for a few hours tonight and have hit a snag...

Ive tried M-JOY, MI-JOY, Rejoice and MIDI-Joystick none of which see's the I-CUE HID device. All drivers seem to install properly in the device manager while the I-CUE is plugged in and uninstall once unplugged.

I did note that the I-CUE doesn't actually turn on (LED lights come on) until the Numark CUE software is opened up. Once closed the I-CUE turns off (LED lights go out). So I opened the Numark CUE software and ran the HID to MIDI programs and nothing still.

As a trouble shooting step I plugged in a Logitech USB game controller and M-JOY, Rejoice and MIDI-Joystick were able to see it. However MI-JOY did not.

Not really sure how to proceed from here... As a side not I did discover Virtual DJ 5.2 does support the ION I-CUE, which gives me alot more features! Maybe I can somehow sync that with Ableton Live.

Ry

Tech Student

Default x-session vs iCue

hey Jack.

ever figure this out? Im interested.. Also how do you feel about the 2 controllers in comparison? I have an x-session and want an iCue. Are the faders as large, feel good and responsive?

pls let me know what u think in comparison

thnks man

good luck with the midi hack.. if I find out anything I'll be sure to post..

Nah I never figured out the midi hack... I ended up buying Virtual DJ and a Novation Nio, routing the master on the compaq through ableton on the mac. And used the x-ssion to control 4 more channels in ableton (volume and fx's), added my axiom 25 and trigger finger to control the other odds and ends. Made for a very fun live remix rig!

As per comparison, Unless your getting the icue super cheap I wouldnt bother... I find jog wheels that arent touch sensitive to be virtually useless. So your better off with another x-ssion in my opinion.

In case your still curious, the mixer section on the icue isn't that bad actually. faders slide real nice (I like them better then the ones on the x-ssion (my x-session faders are stiff)) and the knobs feel nice and durable. You have to hold down the "pfl" button to cue up your tracks, I found that i just used the master...

You can just do way more things with the x-ssion, being midi and all...

The only reason i could see anyone wanting an icue is for the jogs, but they suck imo...

Hope that helps

Ry

Tech Student

cool thanks. Ya I realized that too..most dj controllers dont have motorized jog-wheels, so im not interested either

(btw i used usb2midi hack thingy that worked for me years ago.. for you, or anyone else on this thread that may be interested in turning non midi into midi)