Why be a DJ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why be a DJ???

Tech Convert

Default Why be a DJ???

Hi...my name is Manas.

it was the year 2000 when i first stepped into a Night Club and thought to myself....is this what people call HEAVEN? :-)

Ever since i wanted to be a DJ....

After college, i wanted to join a DJ school, but didnt have the cash (yeah... its an expensive hobby)

Now as i have been working, and can spare some money on the equipments, i thought to myself.... why not relive my dream :-)

Study shows that 88% of the people who party have thought of becomming a DJ atleast once in their lives.....

Now, why does one want to become a DJ?

Three simple reasons-

1 - For the attention, - They always have it....

2 - For the money, - They always get it :-)

3 - Both.

I wanted to become one for the love of music (not tht i hate money & attention ;-))

So, here i start, right in my bedroom, with a computer, home theatre speakers and a DJ mixer tht i got from ebay.

i start here with no ambition whatsoever, and its just for pleasure, pastime, or a hobby.

all the music gods :-) your feedback is extremly imp for me.... please let me know...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/manasneil?feature=mhee

Tech Convert

i'll check out the utube channel in a bit, just a tip get a soundcloud! soundcloud.com you won't regret it. welcome to DJTT

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix while watching my girlfriend play "Brutal Legend" and tagging music in the "beets" tagger, after importing it into musicbrainz. I listened on the Klipschs with the subwoofer turned on, but at relatively low volume. Here's my feedback.

- Your enthusiasm about DJing comes across in your post, and it's clear that you have the passion to be a DJ.. and this is the only real reason anyone should be any kind of artist.. because they can't keep themselves from doing so.

- Posting a tracklist and/or a download link, and a style of music in your DJTT post title, will increase your chances of listens and feedback.

- It's fair to say I'm not wild about this style of mainstream club music. But the tracks you picked seemed to go together ok.

- The audio quality of your mix seemed very, very low. Are you sure you are getting good quality copies of the tracks you are playing?

- I agree with the above poster, youtube is an odd forum. On the other hand, the technique you are using, posting frequent mixes on a regular schedule, is a great way to develop your skills as a DJ.

- What are your goals as a DJ? If club booking and so on is part of your dreams, you will have to start making longer, more "planned" mixes to use promotionally.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Convert

Smile

Wow.. thanks soo much for the feedback, yes.. i m really crazy about music, and though i have started late, and wanna be a club DJ oneday, i want to master the art.
    i have been practising very often, and will post my mixes regularly, and hope to hear your and other's feedback.

yea...since not a professional yet, the sound quality of my mix is not upto the mark.
    do you have some advise on where i can get high quality music?
    can i freely download stuff or do i have to buy everything?

also, i recorded it through the virtual dj, mixed using a numark mixtrack.
    any tips will be of great help.

yea.. i will use a better source, and not youtube next time....

BTW my Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/DeejayManas

Tech Mentor

do you have some advise on where i can get high quality music?
    can i freely download stuff or do i have to buy everything?
    It is against the rules of this forum to discuss "freely downloading" stuff that is not available for "free download." It is also worth noting that most places you would find "freely downloadable" music do not especially enforce quality standards. So not only are you doing "the right thing" by trying to get some money to the original musician, you are increasing your chance of having good quality tracks to mix with. Obviously your listeners will only know that the audio quality increases, not whether you have bought the tracks or not. Only your conscience knows this, and whether and when it matters to you.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!

MP3 files on Beatport are pretty cheap. You don't need 3000 tracks, find 50 or 100 that you like and sound good and build from that.

The other thing is to look for downloadable content from Soundcloud, some of the stuff there is pretty good and to the grace of various producers you could download and use them for free.

Also read RCDLBL and similar blog sites that distribute music for free.

I would avoid using anything below 320k MP3 files for public DJ:ing, myself. Unless you want to torture your audience.

Don't steal music. Bad karma will happen, like you never get good music and so on.

Tech Mentor

MP3 files on Beatport are pretty cheap.
    Did you notice the geographic location of the OP?

I mean, I am not an expert in global purchasing power, but my hunch is that even a relatively wealthy Indian, who can afford a computer and some DJing equipment, is going to consider the priced-in-Dollars-or-Euros files on Beatport which are, as you say, "pretty cheap" to someone living in America or Europe... to be "pretty expensive."

GDP per capita :
    India - $1,192 current US$ - 2009
    USA - $45,989 current US$ - 2009

TL;DR : The Internet is a big place. The people you are talking to may be in very different circumstances. "Pretty cheap" is relative.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    Did you notice the geographic location of the OP?

I mean, I am not an expert in global purchasing power, but my hunch is that even a relatively wealthy Indian, who can afford a computer and some DJing equipment, is going to consider the priced-in-Dollars-or-Euros files on Beatport which are, as you say, "pretty cheap" to someone living in America or Europe... to be "pretty expensive."

GDP per capita :
    India - $1,192 current US$ - 2009
    USA - $45,989 current US$ - 2009

TL;DR : The Internet is a big place. The people you are talking to may be in very different circumstances. "Pretty cheap" is relative.
    Might be but if someone invests in DJ gear they should be able to also be able to have funds to invest in music.

And stealing is stealing in any culture.

If the Beatport dollar to local currency is cost-inhibitive, use a service from UK using pounds or an European system using Euros, or then a possible Asian digital music distribution system (not sure about that market myself.)

Tech Mentor

And stealing is stealing in any culture.
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Theft
    "
    Copyright apologists often use words like “stolen” and “theft” to describe copyright infringement. At the same time, they ask us to treat the legal system as an authority on ethics: if copying is forbidden, it must be wrong.

So it is pertinent to mention that the legal system—at least in the US—rejects the idea that copyright infringement is “theft.” Copyright apologists are making an appeal to authority…and misrepresenting what authority says.
    "

Infringing at most shares some traits with "theft" or "stealing", so equating them is not usually improving understanding. Makes for great shame-based rhetoric, I guess?

As I said in my original post, everyone has a different perspective on what is appropriate for their conscience, legal environment and artistic sense of right and wrong. In this forum, discussion of filesharing is against the rules, presumably because it is located in a jurisdiction where filesharing infringement is wrong. But being against the rules does not make something ethically or morally wrong.

As a very simple example, a wide assortment of early Detroit dance music was issued once, on vinyl, in runs numbering in the low thousands. It was never distributed digitally, and all of the business entities associated with the music are now defunct. Yes, the music is technically still copyrighted. Yes, our Indian friend could go on Discogs marketplace and pay 20 Euros for the record, then record it digitally so he can mix it in Virtual DJ. However, even if he does, he is not paying the people who made the music a single cent.

The presumption that if someone downloads something and infringes a legal copyright that they are "stealing" something which they actually COULD have purchased from someone in a transaction which involves any money going to the original artist seems like quite a big presumption.

As a simpler example, all DJ mixes posted by anyone here are illegal by nature of their not being cleared with the copyright holders. I understand people think there is some magical exemption if you label it "for promotional use only" but as evidenced by, for example, Soundcloud cracking down on DJ mixes, they are in fact illegal. If you accuse someone who makes a non-commercial DJ mix with infringed material of "stealing," where are your condemnations for those who similarly "steal" from the people whose music they DJ?

http://dancemusic.about.com/od/askth...eDJMixedCD.htm

tl;dr : the overwhelming majority of music has no commercial value, ever. treating this commercially worthless material as if it is Disney classics in a copyright vault is unlikely to be of cultural benefit to anyone, including its creators.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!

Tech Convert

Intresting discussion
    Ok..so.. all tht i learn so far is... i am going to look for 320kbps music...
    Download from reliable source and.. buy some of my favourites online.....
    as i m not a professional yet, i will be not much into buying, but yes...i agree with both of u....

thanks a lot for ur advice, and i promise the sound will get better from here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast