Can I get some feedback on my mix?
    Tech Guru

Default Can I get some feedback on my house mix?

Ive been djing about a month now and just got a vci 100 se the other day. What do you think?

Tracklist:
    [1] Eric Prydz -- 2night
    [2] 3LAU -- Good Love Control
    [3] Rihanna (feat. Calvin Harris) -- We Found Love
    [4] Alex Gaudino -- Glad You Came (Remix)
    [5] John Dahlback -- Big (Remix)
    [6] Avicii -- Levels (Felix Leiter Bootleg)
    [7] Z Factor -- Keep On Jumpin' (Luigi Rocca Remix)
    [8] Nicky Romero -- Camorra
    [9] Oscar Cano & Freddy Marquez -- Can't Stop (Dario Nunez Remix)
    [10] Afrojack & Steve Aoki -- No Beef (Instrumental Mix)
    Last edited by losxc451; 09-27-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: just found out how to embed soundcloud player and updated tracklist

Tech Guru

anybody? lol

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix on my laptop speakers while exercising. Here's my feedback.

- Intro track is introey. I always appreciate it when a DJ starts a mix with a track that sounds like the start of a journey.

- Tracklist, genre and title for a mix in the DJTT post all give people the impression that, even though you might be a beginner, you care enough about the details to be worth listening to. Proper embed link, as you eventually got, always good.

- 24 minutes is a weird length for a mix. Why not 30? Trying to make your mixes of a specific length when you practice them will help you with consistency and repeatability, which are very important when advancing as a DJ.

- Your use of the filter efffect on the first track, while appropriate, seemed to drop the volume "too much". Unless that's just the track, and how progressive house producers do it. Around 2:00.

- I don't like this kind of music, but I appreciate that the second (third?) track has a vocal. The mix of Afrojack to Rhianna is so appropriate harmonically that I actually had to google both tracks to understand when the transition happened. I really hate this Rhianna vocal, the original. You play this dutch house remix for a very long time.

- The next mix is kinda awkward in terms of phrasing and phasing of the synth. I am tired of cheesy vocals now. Three vocals in a row is a lot for my taste.

- 9:24 kinda rough transition. Volume is too loud on the new record. Another cheesy vocal. Let the mix breathe, mix in some instrumentals? Unless your goal is to be a radio DJ on like, a pop dance channel?

- 11:37 cheesy vocal to soulful vocal? I like the direction you're heading here, at least..

- "keep on dancing" is too diva for me, again.. but epic on its own terms.

- then we go minimal for a track and then.. some weird dance punk thing with guitar? Then some weird but kinda fun fidget track? Heh, that fidget track is probably my favorite thing on here, track ID? @20:00?

- Now you're mixing in a long epic thing with the fidget thing? Kinda weird but kinda cool. To me the last few mixes are not really a smooth coast downwards like I appreciate at the end of the mix.

- Watch your volume levels in general, especially when using effects and filter in the mix.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!

-
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Guru

Thanksfor the input! yea I had to leave in the middle of mixing to go take care of something so thus the awkward length. And I updated the post with the track list and the track @20:00 is No Beef by Afrojack and Steve Aoki