Newbie!

Thread: Newbie!

Tech Student

Default Newbie!

Hey guys. My name is Chris Williams and i am new to DJ'ing. Idk if u could even call me new cause i havent tried or own anything for Dj'ing lol. Thts why i am here.
    So i am REALLY into dubstep, and i wanna make my own. So i want to buy some turntable/s and an FX board. My limit of spending is somewhere around $500, because i dont want to spend alot of money on something and end up never wanting to use it, and also i just dont have the money, im 16 lol. So can u guys help me find what i need.
    Here is what i am wanting:
    -Around $500
    -for beginner status aka easy to use
    -for dubstep
    -decent quality not something that will tear up in a few months
    -something to make some FILTHY ASS BASS DROPS!

Idk if my price range is realistic or not, but hey whatever. Just tell me the realistics of my idea and what i need to do to start out and do it cheap but well.
    Thanks everyone! -Chris

So from what I can see you want to produce your own tracks and not DJ? If so, then you don't need Turntables or anything like that, just production software and maybe a MIDI controller.

Check out the trial version of Ableton http://www.ableton.com/downloads

Before you do that, check out some tutorials and other DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations).

You might like Reason http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

So research each program you might be interested in, download some trials and have a crack at producing something. There's no investment, so if you decide it's not your thing then you haven't lost any money.

If you do decide you want to continue, you'll want to buy a full version of the program, and maybe a MIDI keyboard.

Something like http://www.akaipro.com/lpk25

I'm guessing from your description of the Dubstep you want to make, you're really into Skrillex and the brosteppy crowd. He makes his tunes in Ableton, and also "performs" with it. (I say perform loosely) So try out the trial versions and see if it's for you.

If you decide you would like to just play other people's music then going down the DJ path would be better. Download the Traktor trial and have a play around.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Basically If you want to produce (I just learned this today) you want a big comfy chair, don't screw about and get a full backed one with padded arm rests... I just got a big RED comfy chair and my tracks have improved tremendously, it really helps when creating the depth for your bass lines. oh and for speakers just get a couple 12" pioneer subs cause all you want to hear is BASS! reference monitors are for pussies...
    But in all serious Yea it sounds like you are looking to produce rather than mix, So I think you best bet is getting a midi keyboard and some KRK RP6's reference monitors or some Sennheiser HD25 headphones which would save you money if you decide you don't like sitting around on your laptop all day producing a track. if you are just starting out I reckon you should try Fruity loops it isn't as powerful as other DAW's but it will get you off your feet and while you are a learning you won't know what you're missing out on so it will teach you the basics and not overwhelm you. NOW GO HAVE FUN!
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Mentor

so what I'm getting is that you have no experience djiing and no experience producing....so what I would do is go on youtube and look at all possible DAW's then start trying them out to see what best fits your style...and from there learn and experiment...ohh and practice!
    VCI-100 (DJTT Overlay - 1.4) - Neon Yellow Knobs
    Midi-Fighter
    15" MacBook Pro (Quad-Core i7)
    Traktor Pro 2 w/ Audio 2 DJ
    Stephon Ikōs (www.soundcloud.com/gbushkuhl)

Quote Originally Posted by wongaling View Post
    [*COLOR="Red"]Basically If you want to produce (I just learned this today) you want a big comfy chair, don't screw about and get a full backed one with padded arm rests... I just got a big RED comfy chair and my tracks have improved tremendously, it really helps when creating the depth for your bass lines. oh and for speakers just get a couple 12" pioneer subs cause all you want to hear is BASS! reference monitors are for pussies...[/COLOR]
    [*COLOR="Navy"]But in all serious Yea it sounds like you are looking to produce rather than mix, So I think you best bet is getting a midi keyboard and some KRK RP6's reference monitors or some Sennheiser HD25 headphones which would save you money if you decide you don't like sitting around on your laptop all day producing a track. if you are just starting out I reckon you should try Fruity loops it isn't as powerful as other DAW's but it will get you off your feet and while you are a learning you won't know what you're missing out on so it will teach you the basics and not overwhelm you. NOW GO HAVE FUN![/COLOR]

-1 on colours.
    On-topic, FL studio may not be as powerful, but its not as overpowering as ableton, i gave up on ableton purely because i didnt know where to start, however FL studio (fruity loops) was basic enough and easy enough to get me started, any input recording etc i do in ableton and grid it, then import it into FL, (ive got the cheaper FL because i already had other ways of external recording)

Also: FL studio STILL isnt available on mac, so that kinda limits you if your a mac user.

EDIT: but yeah sounds like your more into making music rather than producing it,
    What your gona need is some for of software for putting everything together (your DAW)

Some form of synth, (Native instruments 'Massive' is brilliant for basslines)

A keyboard and some knobs/faders, i use an ' M-auidio oxygen 8' and an 'evolution UC33'
    Last edited by Cook; 09-26-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

yea I just wanted to separate the crap from the serious stuff.

[sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags work for that.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post
    [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags work for that.
    +10
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

ah didn't even think of that thanks man. I'll use it in future

Launchpad, launchpad, launchpad. Comes with a trial of ableton, and it buttloads of fun. Takes a bit to learn on, but less time and money than turntables. Did I mention launchpad? Maybne even an LPD8, but I reccomend both of those to everyone lol
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.