FAO: MrPopinjay & other Sussex crew - Brighton hackspace!

Default FAO: MrPopinjay & other Sussex crew - Brighton hackspace!

Last night I went to a "Build Brighton" open night:

"Build Brighton is a Hackspace, a communal workshop where like-minded people can geek out about electronics, technology, crafts, engineering… even food hacking."

http://www.buildbrighton.com

They're just in the middle of moving to a new location so the hackspace is a bit of a building site at the moment. When it's finished (in a few weeks hopefully) it'll provide members (and the public on Thursday evenings) a 24/7 space to make all sorts of stuff.

The actual building is a large warehouse full of soldering stations, comfy sofas for hanging out on, an impressive looking laser cutting station (housed inside a shed!) and loads of tools, projects, gadgets, etc. Thursday nights is a free open-to-the-public night where you can pop along and talk to some fellow hackers about your work and show off your latest project. £20 per month allows you 24/7 access to all the tools/gear and an additional one-off charge of £50 gets you access to the laser cutter (great for cutting perspex/acrylic).

I met quite a few people there last night - very friendly bunch with a LOT of useful know-how between them. The vibe is slightly geeky - mostly men with soldering burns on one hand and a beer in the other but everyone you talk to has a real enthusiasm for diy electronics/hacking. I met engineers, electricians, plumbers, programmers, musicians, photographers, dj's and artists... a great little community

Here's one of the members sites:

http://unsymbol.wordpress.com/2011/0...di-controller/

Phil Cunningham made a usb midi device using a teensyduino. His site was actually how I found out about Build Brighton. Using the code above and a teensyduino it should be possible to make a reasonable midifighter clone (made especially easier by the laser cutter - for cutting the front panel).

Anyway - just thought it might be of some interest to the DJTT Sussex/Brighton crew. Hopefully I'll see some of you down there sometime

nice. I'll pop down there
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

nice one zim - whereabouts are you based? from your avatar I thought it was somewhere a bit more exotic than Sussex by the sea!

Also forgot to mention - they're assembling a CNC machine for routing circuit boards and, more interestingly, a 3D printer!

ah yeah, I forgot - you're the guy who was running that night in Hove town centre somewhere? is that still going?

nah finished that a while ago now, every week for three months got a bit to much. Got something in the works for a monthly thing soon. nothing big just a small bar but cool one. this build brighton looks interesting. You got any projects in mind?
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

yes - I'm restarting my big diy midi controller project again! The main problem I had before was costs - buildbrighton has got a laser cnc machine so it's inspired me to get cracking again

let me know when you re-start the night