First gig, a switch from laptop to CDJ?
    Tech Student

Default First gig, a switch from laptop to CDJ?

So I'm looking for general advice here. I am relatively new to DJing, only been working at it for a couple months, but I've managed to get a spot at a sidestage at an Excision show in Milwaukee.

I've taught myself what I know using a computer and controllers, controllers really being my only choice due to economic limitations. I've been told that CDJ's and a mixer are going to be at the stage for me to use. So I am wondering about the transition from controllers to CDJ's. I am completely open to using them, as I had originally wanted to start out using them though they were too costly to invest in not actually knowing I would love DJing so much. So I want to hear from others who have made this transition, or the reverse, to get an idea of what to expect so I don't botch the whole thing.

I am asking the person im in contact with about compatibility with computers, as I know a number of of mixers and CDJ's are built compatible with programs like traktor and virtual dj, but I thought I'd throw this thread out there in case they are not, and just to see what you guys have to say cause even if they are I might just go without the laptop anyway.

if you're talking about "the Rave" you'll be fine with your controller because theres plenty of space in the booth i think you're playing in. I would wait until you actually buy and practice beatmatching on cdjs before you even think of playing out on them.

Practice transitions with no sync and just using cues and BPM values as indicators to beat matching. You could do that with any controller. It would be good to know a little bit how a CDJ works, I would recommend to for example go to the nearest well-stocked Guitar Center and try Pioneers out (suspect it's a Pioneer setup).

Kind of sad to spend money to learn a CDJ setup but it's doable with no CDJs using some pre-planning.

You using a controller, what controller? If they have a 4 channel mixer just plug into one of the channels. If its a two mixer, just unplug one of the cdjs and plug in your controller. Then when you switch have the next person beat match to your software out. Should be pretty straight forward.

You are not using time code right?

Tech Student

Yes, I am indeed talk about "The Rave", thanks its good to know there is enough space I will definitely be more comfortable and competent using the controllers I have experience with.

I use a Numark Mixtrack Pro and a Traktor Kontrol X1, so no I am not using timecode.

And yeah I do make efforts to not use the sync button at all when I practice, but really when the button is right there it gets tempting to quicken things up and I often find myself using sync to get a song to the BPM I want before i start mixing it in and matching beats manually till they are very nearly matched then just syncing the final little nudges. Definitely a bad habit, maybe I'll just unmap the sync button, or remap it to stop the music when I practice and use some good old fashion negative reinforcement to break the tendency haha

oh yeah that should be really easy then, just plug into the mixer and you should be all set. As for mixing in and out, of cdjs, if you play first you should have any issues, the other guy will have to beat match to you laptop! But the otherway you will have to beat match in.

Tech Wizard

One of the first things I do when I'm booked at a place is ask for a pic of the BOOTh that I will be in. Some of the gigs I have done, the Owners were anal about using only their gear-besides my laptop. Others wanted me to bring my gear. I always ask what gear they already have, if its not close to my setup, I try to negotiate my gear in there
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4