Overclocking

Thread: Overclocking

Default Overclocking

Anyone here overclocked their desktop or laptop to get some extra oomph out of it for DJ'ing purposes?

I'm going travelling for two months and when I come back, I plan on putting some more RAM in my laptop and possibly overclocking it to boost performance. Not to mention getting rid of all the dust that inside it that it got from my ancient student home. Ha!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

To be honest, I don't think overclocking is that good a decision on a laptop.

Within a laptop, space is almost none. Fans are only cut to the job of normal clockspeeds and tempratures.

For a regular desktop it is no problem. Airflow,due to space, and fans that are more than capable are amongst the safety gear.

I have been able to up CPUspeeds 40%, and it has been worth it sofar. Performance in Ableton Live is fantastic!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Never overclocked a laptop myself, but here's a good guide to walk you through it: http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=15

Be extra super careful, though! Not only because of the small size of laptops, but if you do cause damage, repairs are a lot more costly and time-consuming than desktop machines.

I was figuring maybe a laptop cooler would do a good enough job to compensate the extra cpu heat, or are there other general considerations (apart from my grubby digits poking around the sterile insides of my Inspiron!)
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Some of the newer laptops that have 45nm chips in them run very very cool and have ALOT of room for overclocking, infact there is so much room for overclocking that your motherboard will give out before the chip does - so keep that in mind if you overclock your laptop. If you are running a 65nm core your chip is already about as fast as its going to get before it gets too hot for your system.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

As Bento said, unless its a very recent processor its probably a bad idea.
    1.7 Ghz should be fine for pretty much everything, I would focus on the RAM and streamlining your OS.

Hear hear!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --