Laptop upgrades... Where to begin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop upgrades... Where to begin?

The new traktor upgrade took away about 90% of the clips when i use my laptop.
    I'm looking to y'all for some help finding out if my laptop can be upgraded to handle traktor better without buying a new laptop.

Any parts i can grab on ebay or a wholesale store and do it myself for a fraction of the cost?

I use my laptop just for dj'ing, dont surf the web or anything on it.

i'm going to try to google the exact model number.
    thank you all for the help.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Convert

first off RAM - 99% of the time user upgradeable and will usually have the biggest performance:cost ratio

next up is no doubt an SSD to replace your current HDD. This will usually turn an ancient machine right around, but for DJs this is usually quite expensive, you will have to ask yourself how much music do I really want with me all the time. If you can live with under 90GB then this upgrade will cost you a couple hundred (for a 120gb SSD) on the flipside if you need 500GB this upgrade will cost you 800-1000 (ie. go shopping for a new computer.)

Even though the SSD sounds expensive (even at 200) it can be taken to your next laptop, and if you buy a MacBook Pro it can run along side a normal HDD (you have to sacrifice the DVD drive though) - this is where SSDs really shine, running all your programs while a conventional HDD does the mass storage for you.

Devon

Quote Originally Posted by devonl View Post
    first off RAM - 99% of the time user upgradeable and will usually have the biggest performance:cost ratio

next up is no doubt an SSD to replace your current HDD. This will usually turn an ancient machine right around, but for DJs this is usually quite expensive, you will have to ask yourself how much music do I really want with me all the time. If you can live with under 90GB then this upgrade will cost you a couple hundred (for a 120gb SSD) on the flipside if you need 500GB this upgrade will cost you 800-1000 (ie. go shopping for a new computer.)

Even though the SSD sounds expensive (even at 200) it can be taken to your next laptop, and if you buy a MacBook Pro it can run along side a normal HDD (you have to sacrifice the DVD drive though) - this is where SSDs really shine, running all your programs while a conventional HDD does the mass storage for you.

Devon
    ballin!
    i've been researching it all morning.
    i have a good amount of memory, i think i need to do what you said with RAM, look for upgrades there.

Today the only reasonable alternatives is to max out RAM and insert the biggest possible internal hard drive. Can't do much about CPUs. Sometimes it's just cheaper to get a new laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Today the only reasonable alternatives is to max out RAM and insert the biggest possible internal hard drive. Can't do much about CPUs. Sometimes it's just cheaper to get a new laptop.
    I'm coming craigslist for deals. and googling the sh!t out of what y'all been saying about RAM lol

thanks guys

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ST.PE` View Post
    ballin!
    i've been researching it all morning.
    i have a good amount of memory, i think i need to do what you said with RAM, look for upgrades there.
    ST.PE, memory is actually the same thing as RAM.

However, people often confuse hard drive space with memory.

How about this - post the make/model of your laptop and we'll have a look at the specs, I might be able to source some inexpensive upgrades for ya too.

Devon

dont laugh. bought it for $100 shipped to my door.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-c...-33496182.html
    i am 99% sure its this one.

i get about 1 poping/crackle noise every 10 to 20 mins using traktor.

Tech Mentor

oh I was gonna say just get a 13 inch MBP and be happy. but then I saw without buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMM View Post
    oh I was gonna say just get a 13 inch MBP and be happy. but then I saw without buying it.
    i've been searching for a deal bro, debating on going used or new. If i can finance for 12 months no interest, i'll buy new.

last gig i did i only had one pop noise, which surprised me, but i dont wanna risk it again.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I feel you. I have a PC too, It is a huge one, very powerful I don't have any problems with it but being so huge, it limits my mobility sometimes. I want to save some and get a 13' MBP for only DJ and school related works nothing else, so It wont have junks like the one I have right now haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast