This may get messy!!!!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Tech Guru BFLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    583

    Default This may get messy!!!!!

    Heres the deal guys - dont go mad!!!!!!

    I started djing about 16 years ago aged 16. I had a 2 channel mixer and 2 belt drive turntables, learnt to mix and so on.

    Took a break while I got into other musical styles and learnt how to play the guitar.
    However electronic music was always my main love so decided to get back into DJing. Bought some cheap direct drive sonys (Fine for the money) and got back into it.

    However the price of records had gone up from 2 for new releases to 7 - 10!!!!! So I thought id get into Traktor and Controllers. So I bought a Numark Mixtrack. It was OK for a while. Cheap or even free tunes! However I do feel one thing - Controllers are, in my opinion a bit shit!!!!

    Now before I get lynched let me explain.
    1. They are massively overpriced! (Just look at that new toy Pioneer have released, even the S4 is a rip off in my opinion)
    2. They turn every tom, dick and harry into a DJ
    3. The 'cool' sets people like Ean produce would just bore me to tears in a club (Maybe this is just down to what i want to hear though, admittedly) Its kind of a poor mans scratch DJ.

    I love DJTT, its been a great community and helped me get back into the whole DJ world. But with all the new 'Entry Level' software and controllers available at he moment I honestly think it could spell the end for the DJ!

    Discuss!

    BFLY

  2. #2
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    6,493

    Default

    This again?

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Indeed it has spelled the end.. I've been doing this for a year.. I have a pioneer DDJ-S1. People in my high school are saying dj'ing is 'talentless' 'once you know how do it its no big deal' It's honestly mind-blowing to see that the professional art that it is ridiculed by some douchebag who considers it a hobby.. where is the passion in all this?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

  4. #4

    Default

    Oh boy, another old generation complains about the young generation thread. Here we go.

    I still think guitar music went downhill when guitar amps were introduced.

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newport, Wales
    Posts
    108

    Default

    How many posts before this thread gets rightly shut down for once again brining up a very tired argument?

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    I think he is bringing up the difference in passion vs hobby.... and a very valid point it is

    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    Heres the deal guys - dont go mad!!!!!!

    I started djing about 16 years ago aged 16. I had a 2 channel mixer and 2 belt drive turntables, learnt to mix and so on.

    Took a break while I got into other musical styles and learnt how to play the guitar.
    However electronic music was always my main love so decided to get back into DJing. Bought some cheap direct drive sonys (Fine for the money) and got back into it.

    However the price of records had gone up from 2 for new releases to 7 - 10!!!!! So I thought id get into Traktor and Controllers. So I bought a Numark Mixtrack. It was OK for a while. Cheap or even free tunes! However I do feel one thing - Controllers are, in my opinion a bit shit!!!!

    Now before I get lynched let me explain.
    1. They are massively overpriced! (Just look at that new toy Pioneer have released, even the S4 is a rip off in my opinion)
    2. They turn every tom, dick and harry into a DJ
    3. The 'cool' sets people like Ean produce would just bore me to tears in a club (Maybe this is just down to what i want to hear though, admittedly) Its kind of a poor mans scratch DJ.

    I love DJTT, its been a great community and helped me get back into the whole DJ world. But with all the new 'Entry Level' software and controllers available at he moment I honestly think it could spell the end for the DJ!

    Discuss!

    BFLY
    Everyone has there own opinion

    Controllerism is a completely different way of performing musically with Traktor, Ableton and other software its more of a live expirience than simply listening to a DJ spin vinyl on turntables

    I personally think unless you scratch well turntables are a waste of time

    With the variety of controllers around people can develop there own way to be creative, with the introduction of sampling into traktor you can create your own beats and practically mash up and remix live with cue point juggling.

    It seems you have gone to the very base of the barrel numark is a very inexpensive controller and you're not going to see many DJs using them in the club.

    If your a producer controllerism is the way to go because it adds new depths to your own music some of the most well known have switched to controllers, Paul Van dyk used xone 1ds and would break his music down so he could remove and add parts in live sets.

    There is a ton of music around and theres going to be stuff or varietys of a genre you dislike im not a big fan of some drum and bass but i do like heavy drum and bass, Many people don't get minimal but i find progressive minimal to be quite catchy and gets me moving without any real melody to it.

    Personally controllerism i believe is extremely cheap you don't need the highest priced controller to get going its whatever you feel comfortable with it all does the same thing.

    Map a second hand Oxygen 8 for 50 off ebay when your in a DJ booth let me tell you 99% of the crowd or more will not give a flying hoot what you are doing behind there, as long as the music is good and it keeps them dancing they really won't care.

    Like a wise man once told me "Nobody dances to scratching"
    Last edited by Fail; 09-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    I think he is bringing up the difference in passion vs hobby.... and a very valid point it is
    Yes but if that hobby has no passion, why do it?

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Yes but if that hobby has no passion, why do it?
    to look cool. like so many people of my age do.

    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    to look cool. like so many people of my age do.
    Or maybe getting chicks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •