House party vs visualisation
    Tech Student

Default House party vs visualisation

Hello Everyone!

This weekend I am doing my birthday party and.. well I can't really call myself dj but I would like to take it on a bit higher level.

I will have my mac connected to Traktor s4 + monitors as i don't have any big speakers (anyway those should be fine) I will be playing music half half from Traktor software and iTunes.
    I was thinking of using my lcd projector as an dj light. And here is a question how to do it best?

If this would be just iTunes I would connect it to mac and get some visualisation for iTunes job done.. but how about when playing from iTunes/utube/or someones mp3 player. Is it possible to have visualisation that would be activated via sound picked from internal mic? Is it good idea?

I could then connect projector to separate laptop which would be quite convenient as i don't have long enough rub cable where i want to place projector.

Ok i think you may know what I mean. All ideas welcome!
    Thanks

Tech Wizard

I have used winamp with Milkdrop 2.0 installed and just looped a suitable track.
    Run the visuals to your Projector and off you go.
    Honestly, its amazing how the brain can rationalise the visuals with what ever audio you are actually playing

visualisations are for stoners. Do you want people to dance or to stare at the viz? (my experience anyway)
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Depending on how big the party is be careful with the monitors they might not be enough. I blew out a pair of Mackie MR8s my first time DJing an apartment party.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Depending on how big the party is be careful with the monitors they might not be enough. I blew out a pair of Mackie MR8s my first time DJing an apartment party.
    This

tbh if your willing to drop a little bit of money (probably not more than 50 bucks assuming its a smallish house party, maybe a 100 if theres more people), you could rent out an alright sound system and maybe a couple lights for the night (at least where I live).

check out local rental prices, and ask the person throwing the party if there willing to drop a bit of money. It will lead to a better party and you won't have to risk damaging your stuff
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Wizard

I nearly blew my bx8a's on my last party. Get yourself a cheap 15" behringer PA speaker and you will have enough power for any house party.

Tech Student

well, party kicks off tomorrow.. I would go for big speakers but it's tiny house party for ~20 people.. and I got my vaporiser yesterday.. so yeah will welcome some visualisations ;P

Thanks for all replies!

Tech Convert

if you hit ctrl+l and type in linein:// on winamp visuals you can use your mic for input and it will go with your music. just delete some of the crappy presets.