How much has DJing changed in the last 4 years?
    Tech Wizard

Default How much has DJing really changed in the last 4 years?

2007 was a magical time. It was around that time I looked for a way to mix mp3’s on my computers and settled on Behringer BCD3000 which shipped with Traktor 3LE. My plan was to use that and then save up to buy something real. Time went by, my laptop’s screen cracked, my controller got stolen and I replaced it with a x-session pro since the jog wheels on the Behriner made me decide I'm not practicing on wheels unless they are comparable to professional platters.

Fast forward to 2011 and the dj controller field has multiplied exponentially. There are so many ‘all-in-one’ digital controllers that the market has at least 3 different competing market segments. I assume this is because low cost suppliers combined with advancements in computer processing make these controllers profitable, especially if they can market it to the college/high schooler with just enough disposable cash. But am I wrong about the impetus for this new crop of dual-deck devices?

Are these controllers at all connected to what is going in the booth? While Native Instruments, Pioneer, Numark et al. stand to make a great deal of money and the people can speculate for days how things may happen in the future. Has anything happened over the past 4 years that shows professional DJs, club promoters, and sound guys are adopting this technology as fast as the companies are creating new products?

Given that it’s time for me to invest some real money into a set up I wonder if I should even get a controller or should I get ready to work on a house mixer with some cd turntables. I’m curious at how prevalent that set up remains and whether or not it would be useful to save up and practice on that kind of setup before trying to reach jedi/ninja status with controllers and such.
    Last edited by tads; 09-29-2011 at 09:49 PM.

I doubt clubs who have invested in Pioneer gear will throw them out for controllers but I could foresee some clubs telling DJs to take their favorite controller to gigs and keep the old Pioneer setups in place until they break down. Some high-end DJs could demand certain setups but that's how it is in the rock business, as well.

If clubs figure out a way to save money, they will jump to that.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I doubt clubs who have invested in Pioneer gear will throw them out for controllers but I could foresee some clubs telling DJs to take their favorite controller to gigs and keep the old Pioneer setups in place until they break down.
    But club set ups are becoming more controller like. You can take the newest CDJ's and plug them up to a shared music source and control them through the mixer. You can use them as midi controllers or dvs to control your software. In a way the basic setup can be a controller. With those new CDJ's connecting to a computer a proper setup would become a much better controller than any basic all-in-one solution could (although someone with experience could probably shed more light here). Maybe the all-in-one controller will go away in place of specialized ones like the midi-fighter or something like a Kaoss pad.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think it will be to long before Pioneer comes out with a CDJ that doesn't play CD's. It'll still cost $1500-$2000 though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I don't think it will be to long before Pioneer comes out with a CDJ that doesn't play CD's. It'll still cost $1500-$2000 though.
    I bet $100 it won't happen in the next 5 years.