New open source key detection tool - Page 14
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Thank you for this update; there is one small problem I have. When I run a batch from my music in iTunes, downloaded from iTunes so no 'local' mp3's, it overwrites the comments and puts the key in the Key tag, but when I search for the track in Traktor it still doesn't mention the key, nor does it in iTunes. Both the comments and key section stay blank. Am I overlooking something?

And second, is there another way to make a small donation to you for your hard work? Sadly I'm not the proud owner of a Paypal account...
    Hey Student, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I overlooked your message.
    iTunes doesn't look at the Key tag in any case, so you'd never see it there. I can't recall offhand if Traktor uses the Key tag but if it does, it'll be necessary to "check consistency" on the tagged files after writing to them for the new tags to be read by Traktor.
    I hope that answers your question; if not just hit me up at the contact address on the KF site.

As for a donation, if you're not into Paypal you could buy a couple of my dnb tunes at counterfeit.bandcamp.com. =)

Really like "o fortuna", gonna check out the rest of the tunes. (audio player on bandcamp is crap)
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Mentor

I tried this for myself yesterday, and I was amazed at the speed at which it works, it's just incredible, but I just thought I'd add a few things:

1. This may have been mentioned, but it doesn't appear to want to analyze protected iTunes files (some iTunes files have this - but only seems to be very old ones, don't seem to get them anymore so probably a bit of a non-issue).

2. There seems to be a large favouring of Minor keys - I assume this is natural: I understand a lot of dance music is done in minor keys to avoid sounding "cheesy", and Virtual DJ (back when I used that) always used to give me minor keys exclusively. The only change was when I used Rapid Evo 3, which balanced it out a bit and included a lot more major keys. The balance seems to have shifted back now.

These aren't real issues at all, but just a couple of things I thought bore thinking about.
    Anyway, it's a real gem of a program, fantastically fast and easy to use!

Tech Mentor

Downloaded this. Will give it a try out.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Now Traktor has a key detection feature, it seems; sneaked it into the latest point release. Based on some very basic research, it's a good algorithm, too. Higher number of exact matches than MIK and solid overall accuracy.

They also added a great colour coding feature when you sort by key. Very cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ibsh View Post
    Now Traktor has a key detection feature, it seems; sneaked it into the latest point release. Based on some very basic research, it's a good algorithm, too. Higher number of exact matches than MIK and solid overall accuracy.

They also added a great colour coding feature when you sort by key. Very cool stuff.
    Nice number of exact, but what about compatible matches?

Quote Originally Posted by droxpopuli View Post
    Nice number of exact, but what about compatible matches?
    Slightly fewer than MIK (see the comparison chart)

Last edited by padi_04; 02-20-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibsh View Post
    Slightly fewer than MIK (see the comparison chart)

Seems quite comperable to the competition, then.
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Tech Wizard

Pretty much had enough of MIK's ...offensive online-only operation as well as a few other things and looking at other options and came across Keyfinder...fantastic! Good work sir! One question, processing flacs doesn't seem to write to the key tag, is this because flac doesn't have a native key tag? No way to implement in KF even by doing semi manually in KF? A little research suggests no key tags in flac....maybe I'll just prepend them all to comments then batch write them to the key field as and when.

Thanks again, look forward to donating if/when I get an MIK refund

Quote Originally Posted by niknok View Post
    Pretty much had enough of MIK's ...offensive online-only operation as well as a few other things and looking at other options and came across Keyfinder...fantastic! Good work sir! One question, processing flacs doesn't seem to write to the key tag, is this because flac doesn't have a native key tag? No way to implement in KF even by doing semi manually in KF? A little research suggests no key tags in flac....maybe I'll just prepend them all to comments then batch write them to the key field as and when.

Thanks again, look forward to donating if/when I get an MIK refund
    There's no standard way of logging key to FLAC tags, but there is a de facto standard (that is to say, a hack) which will be available in the next version of KF. Don't know when it'll be released yet, I'm afraid.

Good luck with chasing that refund =)