Drum & Bass Mix - 18 min, 11 tracks - Neuro & Liquid
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Default Drum & Bass Mix - 18 min, 11 tracks - Neuro & Liquid

Now, initially this might seem 'quantity over quality'. However, I hope I've managed to pack in a number of quality tunes in a short amount of time. Overall I seem to have ended up with far more of a liquid vibe than my usual.
    Thanks to Padi for mastering

Tracklist:
    Traction - Bazil
    Electric Smile VIP - Dom & Roland
    Oversoul - Xpander
    Be True - Commix
    Losing You - The Funktion
    Lunar Bass - Origin Unknown - Commix Remix
    Rectified - Komatic
    Sweet Little Supernova - Blu Mar Ten
    Baphomet - Paimon
    Twisted - Rido feat. Thomas Oliver
    Crank - Noisia

Comments and constructive criticism are, as always, appreciated
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

lovely mix for a lazy saturday
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Works wonders for lazy fridays too.

Liked the mix quite a bit, but one thing I wonder...is this really all that liquidy? I'm not an expert on all the sub sub genres of DnB but I really didn't hear too much liquid Funk in the mix. Though I live in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma so I probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about but yeah the mix was stellar, it flowed logically to my ears and had an excellent "pace" to it. It didn't sound very jammed together either (which is something I am trying to do better myself) overall a very very good mix
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    lovely mix for a lazy saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Works wonders for lazy fridays too.
    Cheers guys, I guess it's lazy kind of mix?

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Liked the mix quite a bit, but one thing I wonder...is this really all that liquidy? I'm not an expert on all the sub sub genres of DnB but I really didn't hear too much liquid Funk in the mix. Though I live in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma so I probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about but yeah the mix was stellar, it flowed logically to my ears and had an excellent "pace" to it. It didn't sound very jammed together either (which is something I am trying to do better myself) overall a very very good mix
    Well, I don't think it's entirely liquid but there were definitely some liquid bits... I think (Komatic, Blu Mar Ten, Commix). You know me, I'm usually on the Neurofunk and Techstep side of things, so I might just be entirely wrong lol. Glad you liked the mix though, very much relieved to hear it doesn't sound jammed together, your feedback is always valued
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Traction - Bazil - good blend, nice contrast of styles, couldve been a better key match. Although the keys in Electric smile seem a bit off anyway.
    Electric Smile VIP - Dom & Roland - nice phrase & key matching, like the switch up, good vibes
    Oversoul - Xpander - That intro is notoriously hard to blend properly, the key goes everywhere. You did a proper job though. Like the loop just before the drop, I use that too
    Be True - Commix - lovely bass switch, really suits the blend. Good layering, This is what good dnb mixing sounds like!
    Losing You - The Funktion - good switch, worked well.
    Lunar Bass - Origin Unknown - Commix Remix - didnt even notice this transition, so definitely a good one
    Rectified - Komatic - like the break in pace, slowed it down nicely. The added top end shuffle is nice although maybe a bit much for a liquid roller such as this.
    Sweet Little Supernova - Blu Mar Ten - good match in pace and style, keys blend well together. Incoming song sounds like it lacks a little punch, levels maybe?
    Baphomet - Paimon - 3 deck mix eh? nice! I see what your trying to do here, but I think the snares are marginally off. Both these tracks have quite distinct basslines too, I personally dont think they compliment each other that well.
    Crank - Noisia

overall a great mix mate! A nice blend of styles between the deep liquid and neuro stuff, some of my recent faves and all time classics in there too! A stellar selection

I think your falling into the trap I fell into with dnb though tbh. It feels great to phrase match and bass switch the main phrases of songs and leave the outro/breakdown to bleed out over the next main phrase. Whilst its a good way to maintian energy, it can actually have the opposite effect.
    Having the two together amps the volume in the mids quite a lot, when the outro has finished and youve blended out, this volume goes too. Which drops the energy a bit. Whilst doing this is technically impressive, if you want more definition in your mix, you need good points of reference and contrast.
    By this I mean, if everything is main phrase bigness, then the loud transitions are the height of the mix. The chillout bit actually turns out to be the main phrase you just mixed in! Thats your point of reference, it no longer has the impact of a main phrase after a quiet intro, because the volume has dropped from the transition out.
    Ya gets me?
    To counter this, more breakdowns and mellow points can actually increase the energy and impact of a song, and it gives you a bit longer to find and cue up the next one
    You shouldnt stop double dropping and main phrase/bassline switching. But think about the levels & EQ more.

I hope this falls under constructive criticism, I dont't mean to leave a bitter taste or sound patronising in any way. But if you can observe and understand the potential pitfalls, you'll have a much greater understanding of how the crowd will feel your set.
    If I havent explained that well enough, let me know and I'll try to explain it better.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Traction - Bazil - good blend, nice contrast of styles, couldve been a better key match. Although the keys in Electric smile seem a bit off anyway.
    Thanks, I agree with the key thing, if memory serves I changed the key of Traction to make it fit better and the keys are a bit off on Electric Smile but to me it's part of what makes the song's sound (completely out of the context of the mix that is).
    Electric Smile VIP - Dom & Roland - nice phrase & key matching, like the switch up, good vibes
    Cheers, thought it worked nicely but was slightly worried about overdrawing the mix by having both tracks play their full lengths while being blended with each other.
    Oversoul - Xpander - That intro is notoriously hard to blend properly, the key goes everywhere. You did a proper job though. Like the loop just before the drop, I use that too
    Yeah, Be True does some really wonky stuff at the start, kinda maintained it by slowly fading it in so it couldn't clash with Electric Smile, pretty sure the sounds in Oversoul were slightly off with it but not enough to sound bad.
    Be True - Commix - lovely bass switch, really suits the blend. Good layering, This is what good dnb mixing sounds like!
    Thanks, very pleased to hear you say that. Pretty sure this was the best part of the mix, Losing you has such a funky and awesome bass line while the overall melody of Be True just flows with it and adds another dimension to the song.
    Losing You - The Funktion - good switch, worked well.
    Lunar Bass - Origin Unknown - Commix Remix - didnt even notice this transition, so definitely a good one
    Haha awesome, that's the sort of thing I'm working towards, have it hard to tell where one song ends and another begins, but in a good way, not the holy crap this is way too crowded kind of way.
    Rectified - Komatic - like the break in pace, slowed it down nicely. The added top end shuffle is nice although maybe a bit much for a liquid roller such as this.
    Mmm, not entirely sure what you're meaning here, the bit where I have it layered behind Sweet Little Supernova I'm guessing? I kinda tried to keep just the vocal and melody aspects of Rectified to create a sort of interplay with Sweet Little Supernova
    Sweet Little Supernova - Blu Mar Ten - good match in pace and style, keys blend well together. Incoming song sounds like it lacks a little punch, levels maybe?
    Haha, yeah that's my mess up there. I had the volume down on Baphomet down a little lower than I wanted in retrospect, though I'm pretty sure that was to keep the melody bit from overpowering Sweet Little Supernova.
    Baphomet - Paimon - 3 deck mix eh? nice! I see what your trying to do here, but I think the snares are marginally off. Both these tracks have quite distinct basslines too, I personally dont think they compliment each other that well.
    Yep, the old Delay-Echo trick came out to play here. I kinda agree with the mix of Twisted and Crank not working terribly well. I really like how some of the sounds complement each other though, if Lambox and I ever get some spare time we might be collaborating on a mashup of the two tracks, so I'll keep that comment about the snare in mind if/when we're working on that.

Crank - Noisia

overall a great mix mate! A nice blend of styles between the deep liquid and neuro stuff, some of my recent faves and all time classics in there too! A stellar selection

I think your falling into the trap I fell into with dnb though tbh. It feels great to phrase match and bass switch the main phrases of songs and leave the outro/breakdown to bleed out over the next main phrase. Whilst its a good way to maintian energy, it can actually have the opposite effect.
    Having the two together amps the volume in the mids quite a lot, when the outro has finished and youve blended out, this volume goes too. Which drops the energy a bit. Whilst doing this is technically impressive, if you want more definition in your mix, you need good points of reference and contrast.
    By this I mean, if everything is main phrase bigness, then the loud transitions are the height of the mix. The chillout bit actually turns out to be the main phrase you just mixed in! Thats your point of reference, it no longer has the impact of a main phrase after a quiet intro, because the volume has dropped from the transition out.
    Ya gets me?
    To counter this, more breakdowns and mellow points can actually increase the energy and impact of a song, and it gives you a bit longer to find and cue up the next one
    You shouldnt stop double dropping and main phrase/bassline switching. But think about the levels & EQ more.
    Totally gets ya, needs more chillout bits for some breathing time, right? Creates a more noticeable flow in the mix, etc. Definitely will have to keep this in mind for the future. I definitely am not wonderful with my levels, though if there's one thing I am doing right in that dept. it is that I make damn sure I'm not going in the red.
    I hope this falls under constructive criticism, I dont't mean to leave a bitter taste or sound patronising in any way. But if you can observe and understand the potential pitfalls, you'll have a much greater understanding of how the crowd will feel your set.
    If I havent explained that well enough, let me know and I'll try to explain it better.
    Not at all man, this definitely counts as constructive criticism, there's a lot of really good advice in here and I don't think any of it came across patronising and it certainly did not leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Your comments help me get better at my craft since I frequently lack the time to really deeply critique myself, plus I'm sure my ears are slightly bias and it always helps to have a pair of fresh ears put to something.
    Thanks again man, I really appreciate your critiques

P.S. We both wrote mini-essays eh?