Quantize TSP2

Thread: Quantize TSP2

Default Quantize TSP2

so, almost 2 years ago i remember coming to the conclusion with tp1 that having quantize and snap functions on was a big no no, ive always left them off since then, as i believe having tracks synced to grid adds the easy to get and no your songs are in time easy, but that the quantize and snap function only perfect stuff so much it doesnt give individuality to your set (scratching isnt always "perfectly on beat" but it works and some times little of beat stuff adds character, i figure its a good comparison)

the other day when playing around while using control vinyl on softsync mode, i turned on quantize to see if it would make a dif, i was very suprised to find out it allowed me to rapidly cue/ go off beat without screwing stuff up, i was pretty stoked, i left it on to see if any problems would arrise and none have since, so ive left it on.

so basically, i think that the quantize feature might have been attached to the sync in the old tp1 (beatsync or off, no tempo sync), wich was why i stopped using it, then once i switched to decks on tsp1 i never switched it back/bothered to try( even tho it probly wouldnt make a dif cause u cant sync with timecode in tsp1), is the sync only attached to beat sync, is it pointless to have on with softsync, or will it only help me when i need it to??

any answers/thoughts/feedback appreciated

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Tempo Sync allows you to preserve the phase (if you bended a record) while hotcue jumping or without turning sync off. Loops are still tied to the grid when quant is on.

Using sync with soft(tempo)sync only matches the BPM of the tracks, after that it's just like it's off in Traktor 1.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-01-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Tempo Sync allows you to preserve the phase (if you bended a record) while hotcue jumping or without turning sync off. Loops are still tied to the grid when quant is on.

Using sync with soft(tempo)sync only matches the BPM of the tracks, after that it's just like it's off in Traktor 1.
    but if a loop is running i can take it out of time by bending the record so how will the quantize effect it, i guess ill have to try tmrw and see, maybe it wont let me move it, but i dunno kinda doubt it, will the quantize help me at all if say it didnt, and if it does is that the only way it will help me, wont improve sound quality, on my mixer quantize boosts and gives a digital effect to the sound i believe, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dj.You.S.Bee View Post
    but if a loop is running i can take it out of time by bending the record so how will the quantize effect it, i guess ill have to try tmrw and see, maybe it wont let me move it, but i dunno kinda doubt it, will the quantize help me at all if say it didnt, and if it does is that the only way it will help me, wont improve sound quality, on my mixer quantize boosts and gives a digital effect to the sound i believe, thanks
    yes, you can bend freely. I was talking about setting an autoloop. quantize doesn't affect audio quality, just timing.

Further to this topic......I too have an external rig and jamming TC's.

Which is the better sync option to use?

I have been using TempoSync...and as mentioned above, it matches the BPM and thats it really. You can pull it out of phase etc but the tempo remains.

Is this the best way? I find that my TT's do not stay constant. (I accept the WOW and Flutter) but this either just keeps getting slower or faster....I have to constantly use my hands to keep it in.... its pretty bad.

Is it my decks? or is it a setting I am not using correctly?

I have Snap and Quant on....

Should I use BeatSync if I want to play like I did internally? Will that keep my tracks in time with the Master Tempo? I find I am adjusting the pitch just waay to much on my decks while TempoSync is on.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

BeatSync is previous Traktor's versions behavior, so in theory it should keep things a tad more "square" and fix your issue.

Does turning sync off make things a bit better? otherwise is a deck issue.

your first paragraph made my brain hurt.