small footprint controller (+ sound output) recommendation for travel ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default small footprint controller (+ sound output) recommendation for travel ?

i was holding out for BPM to pass to see if anything came out that fits the bill but I've been looking for a small footprint controller that I can travel with.. I was really hoping for something like the VCI100 w/ a soundcard (but their new VCI400 is too big). After seeing the bpm products that have came out, which would you guys go with:
    - S2 (this is the biggest possible controller I could feasibly travel with) - I liked the S4.
    - K2 (this would be ultra-portable but I would like a jogwheel (maybe add a denon 2000 + use my kontrol x1<already have the x1>?)
    - Stanton - that touch-sensitive 3 piece thing they came out with - any good?

Anybody have any products that they think fit the bill outside these things (or that would recommend one of the above things)? I want something thats stable with Traktor and has enough room to comfortably give me access to transport, cuepoints, filter, eqs, fx.

Anybody else take something along with them when they travel? I go away for work alot and would love to have something I could take with me. But how do you deal with sound output? Just use headphones? A pair of laptop speakers would probably sound like crap..

try an ipad with touch osc, and maybe a k2 or x1.

For super mobile I do the ipad, k2, x1, midifighter. Its dope.

just use your x1, maybe with a midifighter if you're into cue juggling. Honestly, it depends on if your controlling 2 or 4 decks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    i was holding out for BPM to pass to see if anything came out that fits the bill but I've been looking for a small footprint controller that I can travel with.. I was really hoping for something like the VCI100 w/ a soundcard
    Any objections to the VCI-100 mkII (has sound)? I currently have one and it fits nicely in a 15" laptop bag.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    just use your x1, maybe with a midifighter if you're into cue juggling. Honestly, it depends on if your controlling 2 or 4 decks
    I think i could live with 2 decks for travel and just use my key oard to trigger a 3rd decks samples.

What do i do about the soundcard tho?

Im keaning more toward adding a k2 and seeing how that goes..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    Any objections to the VCI-100 mkII (has sound)? I currently have one and it fits nicely in a 15" laptop bag.
    My only thing is that they are getting old now and im worried that support is going to cease to exist.. I habe always liked the vci alot tho..

R u selling it?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    try an ipad with touch osc, and maybe a k2 or x1.

For super mobile I do the ipad, k2, x1, midifighter. Its dope.
    Good suggestion.. My ipad does usually travel with me and the midifighter is compact.. At first i was wondering why the hell theyd put a soundcard on the k2 but im starting to get it now.. Crazy how that thing can actually be a full on setup for 3 decks pretty comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    - Stanton - that touch-sensitive 3 piece thing they came out with - any good?
    i love the scs.3d's... so easy to use multi layers, awesome led feedback and more tactile than using something like an ipad. i bought a 2nd a i loved my first so much - but can do just about all i need from a single one anyway.

one or two scs.3d's with a K2 (or an X1) would make for a super portable solution.

i do like real jogs tho - so a 2x dnsc2000 with a K2 setup sounds like the dogs...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

Scs def looks interesting.. Will probly try to find a store that i can mess around with them..

I also didnt realize the vci mk2 wasnt all that old.. 1-2 yrs? If so, is there something about it that makes it less capable than original? The original seemed big around here but the mk2 didnt seem to get as much traction on the forum? Or are they exactly the same except for soundcard.. Ive always dug the size and look of it but never played with one..

Anyways, i think ill probably hold for the k2 as my main sound card device and then see what else i can patch into the setup.. Im thinking a scs or denn 2000 would give me about all i coukd possibly need..

What about sound tho? Any suggestions there? Im probably going to need to just live with my headphones right? Have yet to hear a pair of small laptop speakers that would be worthwhile..

Tech Guru

whats a k2?
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast