Show me something impressive (sync users)
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Show me something impressive (sync users)

Ok, without this turning into an online slagging match about using the sync button; I've noticed a rise in sync button debates of late. People saying things like " doesn't matter about whether you sync or not, the only thing that matters is rocking the dance floor". Yes having a happy dance floor is the aim of the game, but you could put a mix CD on, jump around like an idiot and still rock a dance floor. Of all the "DJ's" I've seen using Traktor and having their tracks sync'd up, they have literally been one step away from putting a mix CD on. The only difference being they are in control of the line faders that control the transitions between tracks. Not very impressive in my opinion.

Now, I am not against sync'ing tracks. But I do see a lot of "DJ's" prancing around making it look as though they are doing a lot more than what is really going on, when really all their shit is sync'd up and they look deep in concentration in the same way someone beat matching would look as they ride the pitch.

I personally like to stand out with a few rehearsed tricks such as scratching, cue juggling etc. Someone like Ean Golden for example I think has earned the right to sync his shit (which I'm sure he probably does and doesn't throughout his sets) as he pushes the boundaries of conventional mixing tracks back and forth by using rehearsed tricks.

Now, for all the people that are obviously passionate about defending the use of the sync button, show us all something impressive that demonstrates you earning the right to use it.

Remember, let's please not let this turn into online warfare by starting sync button debates!

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Now, for all the people that are obviously passionate about defending the use of the sync button, show us all something impressive that demonstrates you earning the right to use it.
    Why does anyone need to "earn the right" to use the technology that's there?

see ya in 5 pages!

The only difference being they are in control of the line faders that control the transitions between tracks. Not very impressive in my opinion.
    You seem to have lost sight of what DJing means, for most people, in most situations.

It's about playing great tunes.
    Controllerism wankery to impress other DJs? Less so.

It's not rocket science. It's not ego. It's not Santana strumming himself off via his fretboard.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 10-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

starting sync button debates!
    you kind of have already
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

see ya in 5 pages!
    Yep. I predict the same old shit.
    Still, it's my turn to start a thread on this next Sunday. I need an imaginative way to stealthily shoehorn it in. Ideas?
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Would scratching and cue juggling disco tracks impress you? I'm not sure I quite follow what you are inviting other than what seems a loaded debate with with no incentive to participate.

stuff. things.
    If sync Dj's are one step away from putting on a mix cd, then "non-sync" dj's are only the required 5 seconds it takes to beatmatch a record behind them.

Don't know if you realise or not, but your arguments about "sync" dj's, are actually arguments about all dj's.

Some of them prance around behind the mixer and do nothing, some don't. *shrug*

It's not about the medium or the technology, but about expression and delivery.

Tech Wizard

Does anyone just go out to dance anymore? Over the years i have seen a lot of great DJs & some straight up legends (grand master flash, Carl Cox, Fatboy slim, Scratch Perverts) plus countless others & while i may have been facing the stage/dj booth a lot of the time most of the time was spent dancing and enjoying the music. Apart from when Scratch djs are showing there skills all i care aboiut is what is coming out of the speakers, not what gear or method is being used. I sometimes think people forget that a DJs jiob is to make people dance first of all & the rest is just gravy. If you think back to all the clubs that became legendary like The Paradise Garage, The wharehouse, The Hacienda, they were known for there atmosphere created by the music played & the track selection far above the DJs tricks. If you want the sync buttons to work perfect there is also a lot tweaking/nudging to do anyway. I wouldn't care if the tracks were even beatmatched if they flowed together well & didn't take the energy away from the dance floor.
    All the first DJs & pioneers didn't use 1210s because they were old school or keeping it real, they used them because they were the best tools in those times to get the job done. So why shouldn't DJs these days use the tools available. People should go out to be entertained not take notes & if they don't like the DJ on the night, don't pay to see them again. In fact i think the first words Grandmaster flash said when he hit the stage were "if there is anyone here that thinks they are too cool to dance to certain records or have a good time & party they need to get the f**k ot of here before we begin" to massive aplause from the crowd.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    you kind of have already
    Not me, the only responses that I was really looking for where links to impressive shit.

You seem to have lost sight of what DJing means
    Ha haa, funny!

It's about playing great tunes.
    Yes, agreed, but you can also do that by hitting play on itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Why does anyone need to "earn the right" to use the technology that's there?
    When I say earn the right I mean there's a lot of people who gun down "old generation DJ's" saying beat matching is almost a "redundant skill". So show us what you do instead that requires practice. I think that's a fair comment.

I'll quote someone here, sorry I don't remember who it was... edit: DjProben
    The only people who care about sync are other DJs to begin with, but even then, if a button on someone else's computer screen bothers them, maybe they need to see a therapist or something. ...
    juggling, scratching whatever else are boring when badly done... not impressive either for someone on the dancefloor as they don't give a LALALALALA about what the DJ's doing.
    IBTL
    Last edited by Steve Zorilow; 10-02-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast