So much music my brain HURTS!

Default So much music my brain HURTS!

Man.

I want to know all of the good tunes that come out. I went out the other night to a club that I've not been to before, and it re-established some love for genre's out of my norm.

I've realized though that the sets I really love listening to are the ones that bend genre's out the window at times. Listening to a breaks set and then bam, 1 minute of Hard-style, right in the middle to get people moving ridiculously for a bit, then back to a chill vibe, then building up for some crazy Calvertron style wobbles.

While I love the digital revolution of music for my own purposes. Fuck, there is so much to go through.

I consider myself extremely well-versed in Dubstep/Electro House... but beyond that it's hard to keep up with. I've historically loved DnB, but I know people are so into it that it's something I don't follow anymore (for personal mixing purposes), and just let radio/dj sets/my friends play so I can sit back and enjoy tunes.

Does anyone else keep up with more than one or two genre's of music (for mixing within ONE set)? Or is it an impossibility?

... and if so, how the hell do you do it?!?!
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I know exactly what you mean. I mix a ton of different genres but accepted that I can only actually "keep up" with the releases in one or two. For all my side genres I'll usually have one day that I'll pick up months worth of stuff when I happen to really be feeling it (had one of those days for techno yesterday, been ages since I picked up any new tech tunes).
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-02-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Well, reading up some history on the genres so that you can recognize some big producers and labels, keeping an eye on the labels you like (Or a label of that song or album you like), following music blogs and just enjoying listening to a little music now and then might be a start?

Tech Wizard

Tell me about it! I just don't know what to mix at the moment... I'm really into my dubstep and have been for years but I know I'm just not down with the kids at the moment.. I also really like Scratch Perverts and 2manydj's but sometimes when I put a mix together in that vein I feel like I lose perspective and it just sounds all over the place, like I'm listening to the wrong songs in all these different genre's. I definitely feel after mixing for a year and a half that I've hit a wall....

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I mix a ton of different genres but accepted that I can only actually "keep up" with the releases in one or two. For all my side genres I'll usually have one day that I'll pick up months worth of stuff when I happen to really be feeling it (had one of those days for techno yesterday, been ages since I picked up any new tech tunes).
    +1