VCI 100 Overlay

Thread: VCI 100 Overlay

Default VCI 100 Overlay

Can anybody help?

I live in the UK and am looking at purchasing a Vestax VCI 100, and like the idea of the overlay that is available in the DJTechtools store to go with the MIDI mapping.

Is this only available from the store based in America, or are there any UK dealers/stockists that anybody knows of as i should imagine shipping and delivery time would be considerably more ordering from the U.S.

Many thanks in advance

Shipping isn't bad from DJTT atall. And they're the only dealer of their products - which is kinda exclusive and cool

I'm also from the UK... I'm looking to buy a Arcade VCI-100 soon. I've bought stuff before and it doesn't take years to ship or anything.

Happy VCI-ing (and welcome.. )

Many Thanks belchman,

I do appreaciate that with it being only available from DJTT it does make it more exclusive and thanks for the speedy response.

To be honest, i am new to all of this 'Controllerism' and find it quite daunting and want to make sure that everything that i buy is going to do what i want, and last as it may be the last time i get to upgrade for a very long time. I've DJ'd for around 13 years but recently had to downsize my home setup due to a new addition to the family. I had 1210's with a DJM 600 mixer for years, then puchased a CDJ-400, but when our daughter came along, my Music Room was transformed into the nursery.

I've bought a laptop and am selling my CDJ at the moment on Ebay, and like the look of the VCI-100. I have been researching every day for the last couple of weeks on it and looking at sound cards etc and i think thats the one i've now got my heart set on.

Hopefully i'll get a good price for my CDJ and be able to buy one in the next few weeks.

Have you any experience of this new style of DJ'ing?? Or any experience of the VCI 100 or budget sound cards just for home use (making mix cd's etc) as i'm at a stage in my life now where i dont think i'll get much chance of playing out again.

Any help you can give me, or if you can point me in the right direction (maybe i shouldnt be asking all of this in this forum/thread) then it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

I've used Traktor Pro for a while now - used to use Timecode, but pretty much done the digital switchover!
    I've played about with Ableton and the like, running 2 laptops etc, but haven't found a good enough way of integrating them for a standard set, so stuck with Traktor!

At the mo, I run TSP off a Macbook, controlled by a Oxygen 8 v2 midi keyboard (mapped to my prefs) externally mixed into the mixer (2 channel for parties, and 3/4 in the booth). I run Audio 8 DJ soundcard (came with TSP) and if I record my mixes, I run an RCA back into an empty input on the soundcard and record on garageband or audacity.

Best way to find out all about this type of DJing, especially with the DJTT VCI is to meticulously watch all of Ean Golden's vids from start to finish, it'll give you an idea of what the possibilities are, and if that fits in with your style. Also, check out Moldover's controllerism stuff, and also the NI videos with Richie Hawtin and stuff. It's good to get to grips with the whole area (which is big, creative and very exciting )

Good luck fella

Thats crazy, in that short reply, you have managed to answer (in a round about way), a lot of the stuff i have been scouring the web for for the past two weeks.

I do like the idea of all the different and crazy stuff you can do with these progs and midi controllers. It was one of the main reasons i purchased a DJM 600 and the CDJ 400, to have a crack at the effects side of it, being pretty happy that i can mix. Although i completely appreciate that there are so many more effects and stuff you can now do to proper mash up!!

There is only 1 question i have, and i'm not sure if you'll be able to answer it, and then i'll leave you alone

I've been reading up on recording your own mixes with traktor LE, PRO etc, and like you have said, you use audacity or garageband. Now this may come out wrong but i hope you understand and i dont look too stupid.

If i wanted to record my own mix, do i have to have the external sound card run into an external mixer before returning it to the sound card which in turn will play back on the pc?? (Hope that makes sense) Or can you have the soundcard output, go straight back into the input and do it that way??

Now, i know you can record mixes internally, but are you able to do this whilst still being able to use the headphone cueing on the controller??

Sorry if this sounds a bit long-winded or isnt explained very well, but thats the best way i can describe it. Basically, i want to be able to record my own mixes, with headphone cueing, with as little equipment as possible, therefore taking up as little room as possible!! The ideal would be if i could do it with just the PC, Controller and External Soundcard plus Audacity or the like.

Think thats about it and apologies in advance, bet your pleased you answered my first thread!!

I ordered the vci-100 SE overlay and i live in the UK. I'll warn you that i had to pay extra for the customs and imports thing because it was under or over a certain ammount of money.

Sorry being a bit vague i cant remember the details. I just remember having to wait about 2 weeks for it to deliver then pay even more to get it into the country. This isn't DJTT's fault though, stupid britain and it's silly customs and imports.

The overlay was well worth it though! Kinda wish i had bought a 1.3 firmware update at the same time. If i buy one now i'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get it
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nicklebe View Post
    I ordered the vci-100 SE overlay and i live in the UK. I'll warn you that i had to pay extra for the customs and imports thing because it was under or over a certain ammount of money.

Sorry being a bit vague i cant remember the details. I just remember having to wait about 2 weeks for it to deliver then pay even more to get it into the country. This isn't DJTT's fault though, stupid britain and it's silly customs and imports.

The overlay was well worth it though! Kinda wish i had bought a 1.3 firmware update at the same time. If i buy one now i'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get it
    Thanks for that Mr.Nicklebe,

So you dont remember how much you paid then??

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Nutkins View Post
    Thanks for that Mr.Nicklebe,

So you dont remember how much you paid then??
    Pretty sure the extra was around a tenner. Don't take my word for it though. There's probably info on the customs website. Not sure what their URL is though.

I'd suggest buying everything you think you might ever need from the store though. Better getting it all at once than in bits :P
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

As far as recording - what I do is..

Record out (mixer) > spare input (soundcard) > Audacity/Garageband

with internal mixing - i'd probably recommend perhaps splitting your output between speakers and mic jack - or run everything through a mixer (I'm guessing you still have one from your vinyl days!) back into the soundcard input? not mixing externally - eg. master out into channel 1 on the mixer > record/booth out (mixer) > Soundcard input...

Depends what soundcard you have - and i guess that's a fairly clobbery way of doing it...

You could always use the record function built into Traktor? that's good enough, and it wouldn't involve any cables etc... only problem is it splits the track into 6 minute chunks - but it's fairly easy to piece it together in Audacity!

hope that's some food for thought.. holla if you think that could work!

Tech Wizard

If you get traktor pro, you can record internally within the software (iiterally at the click of a button).

Also I would advice if your getting a VCI 100 to get a MAC, as windows users generally experience crashing problems with traktor & VCI (I did, so sold my dell & got a mac 13).

I ordered all my bit from DJTT all at once, and got charged £8-10 in customs fee's.

Hope this helps