So.. Im switching to serato tonight
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default So.. Im switching to serato tonight

From a 2 year traktor user, (timecodes/vci 100SE) to purely just using an x1 and a2 at small gigs, I'm finally taking the jump over to SSL as i feel 2 deck 'sync'ing' just takes the fun out.

Ill be using timcoded CDs for the moment till i get the money together for 1210's. I know bits and bobs about serato but not much, whats this 'whitelabel' thing that comes with it? do i get itch as well? Could i sell my audio 2 and use the SL2 with traktor as well?

How does 'the bridge'/sample player work if i only have two channel outputs (each of which playing a track.

EDIT: More Q's
    I know that you can easilly hot switch from timecode to normal CD w/o changing any settings, (AFAIK) but if i disconnect my laptop and take it elsewhere, do i need to disconnect the SL box to use my CDJs again or can i leave it permanantly hardwired.
    Last edited by Cook; 10-03-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

- Yes, the SL2 (or any soundcard) can be used with Traktor.
    - the sample player and bridge outputs can be assigned to an individual soundcard output or master. If you're using both outputs then you'll be playing over that. IMO using traktor with ableton is much much better than SSL with the bridge due to the audio routing limitations
    - itch is only usable with certain controllers. If you have one of those controllers, you have itch
    - whitelabel gives you access to a bunch of music releases for free, and the files only work in serato

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I'm finally taking the jump over to SSL as i feel 2 deck 'sync'ing' just takes the fun out.
    Curious, how is it any different? Just like Traktor, SSL has visual aids that you can choose to use or not.

Also, if you're looking to get an SL2 I've got one for sale.

Sorry mate the box has already been bought
    but in regards to your question, to be honest? i really dont know. After an hour or so playing traktor, (albiet, in my room so therefore no crowd) im bored. But when im playing on purely my CDJs i can be at it for 2/3 hours

I never really watched the visual cues as it was, coming from mainly a CDJ background i didnt have them in the first place and learned to count beats.

Im really just shopping around to see what fits with me, Maybe the fact i never used 3/4 deck in traktor was what i was lacking, i dont know. Just looking to find something that fits. If i dont like SSL i have the 28 day returns and can jump onto something else.

I moved from Traktor to SSL and I found I was enjoying it anew, but that might just be because change is as good as a break.

As a side note, I never bothered to even look into Whitelabel.net until reading this thread - it's actually pretty cool.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Gotcha. I was pretty much in the same boat and gave SSL a go just to try something different, so I know what you mean. Like FEP it was a neat change at first, but I ultimately found that I could do everything just as well with TSP (aside from the crates) and it didn't make much sense to be using different software for my DVS and digital setups.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the software, so I apologize if I'm sounding anti-SSL.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-03-2011 at 08:23 AM.

It's fine ive seen you flaming before due to people switching from software to software because 'it isnt as cool' etc.

Also, ive got another question which i put in the original post, but nobodys seen

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    There's certainly nothing wrong with the software, so I apologize if I'm sounding anti-SSL.
    Its fine if you are, because you have atleast tried SSL, unlike the haters that have never looked at a laptop before and automatically 'hate' traktor.

Yes, you can instantly switch between thru and timecode modes while the software is running. With no laptop, however, you need the optional power adapter for the SL2 to run audio through it.

Ah thats a bite in the balls, mainly because its only available from US stockists.

Tech Wizard

Hm.. maybe its not the software why you getting bored while playing.

I dunno but is it such a big difference between serato and traktor when you're spinning with the same equipment?
    you lose all the opportunities that traktor offers like all the FX... hm ..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Ah thats a bite in the balls, mainly because its only available from US stockists.
    You can always hack together a battery pack. Just get an rc car style battery and the right kind of plug and some clips and youre good to go

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast