Books thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Books thread

I don't read (forum posts excluded) nearly as much as I used or would like to these days but some of my favourites from when I was more active include:

9780007217144.jpg51kT-Ec3RqL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg9780340733998-us.jpg32542.jpg

Default The book

My favorite one is "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" by John Boyne. I cried my eyes while reading that

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Everyone should read George Orwell's 1984 if they can.
    I love this book and have read it a few times.
    In school, we had to study Animal Farm and at the time I didn't enjoy it as much as when I read it after finishing university and appreciated the story much more (as well as the school studies when we analysed the themes etc.). Needless to say, I love the book now and I read 1984 afterwards and loved that even more!

Tech Wizard

I've started William Gibson's "Neuromancer" as I've heard so much about it.. but I'm mostly reading a music related book called "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton, which is a history of DJing and music.

I want to read The Haunting of House Hill as I've heard it's one of the best horror stories written (and from back in the 1950s to boot!). There are other classic stories I'd love to get around to someday: Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, Catch 22 are a few of them.

As a kid, I used to read around a book every day, until I discovered gaming... which led to me learning to program so it wasn't too bad.

I loved sci fi and read a lot by authors such as Isaac Asimov, Philip K Dick, H G Wells, Ray Bradbury, Ben Bova, Arthur C Clarke, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Jules Verne but also enjoyed other genres by Clive Cussler, CS Lewis, even the Three Investigators and Nancy Drew.. I was a voracious reader!

I've read Dan Brown in recent years and enjoyed them, George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (known as Game of Thrones, which is the title of the first book). I've re-read those a couple of times and really like them. I read the first Dexter book but - for the first time in my life - preferred the TV series' first season, admittedly I had seen the TV show first, which had led me to the book. I've read the Hunger Games books and enjoyed them too for what they are, and they give me that feeling of being a kid again and reading these kind of books. I wonder if that will change if I ever get married or have kids?

I also loved the fantasy books by David Eddings and JRR Tolkien, though I was around 10 when I read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, I should probably read them again. My brother was always the one more into fantasy fiction and I was more interested in science fiction though never exclusively.. My brother was an even bigger read than me, reading upto 30 books a week as he can speed read and retain and process information at that speed, probably why he is so good at his job, but he is married with kids now and says he likes listening to audio books on the train to and from work. He's recommended that I should read the Harry Potter books, as does his son. I watched the movie series for the first time a month ago and while it was enjoyable, the maddening plot holes were frustrating and I've been told the books are so much better.

Speaking of plot holes, I used to read Star Wars books as a kid but the Last Jedi movie has to be one of the most plot-hole riddled movies I've seen. It's a well shot movie but the story just left me asking questions seconds later when usually I can just enjoy a film and then think about the plot holes later.

Let's not get started on all the time paradoxes of Doctor Who, but I used to love reading those books too when I was a kid...

I finished Ernest Cline's Ready Player One a month before the movie came out so it was an interesting comparison. I'm interested in film-making so I like to see movie adaptations. Obviously, many portions of the book just would not translate to the screen or would add many hours to the run time.

Anyway I wish we could go back in time and spend all day reading, gaming or playing basketball like I used to, but alas!

PS. sorry for the long post, and congratulations to anyone who's read it all, it's let me remember authors and books I should probably re-read again... I don't have a photographic (eidetic) memory like my brother does
    Last edited by RMJ; 12-12-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Tech Convert

Thinner By Stephen King

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345