New on the scene
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New on the scene

My cousin recently gave me his Korg Kaossilator and miniKP, and let me use his laptop while he was on vacation. He had both Reason 5 and FL Studio on it, and being fascinated by the idea of DAWs, I started to mess around with it. I ended up purchasing Reason myself. The thing is however, I have no experience with it. I have enough money to buy a MIDI Controller, but I am wondering what I should get.

I am looking at

1. Korg nanoSeries2
    2. Akai MPK-mini

My spending range is around 50 - 150. I am just starting out on the scene, and my goal in music production is geared towards the House/Electro/Dance genre. So any pointers would help.

1. How friendly are the Akai MPK-mini and Reason 5?
    2. Or should I get the Korg nano's and how friendly are those?

Equipment I Own:

1. Korg Kaossilator
    2. miniKP
    3. [Waiting for a MIDI Controller (Akai MPK-mini)

Is there also any other equipment I should have as a beginner?
    Last edited by newbcake; 10-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.

I think you should just work with a mouse and keyboard for a bit. From there, you'll be able to see what kind of things would be more efficient with a control surface and pick something to fit your needs.

I don't have much experience with those software, but i think you are going to want some decent sound and your laptop soundcard wont cut it, u will need an external soundcard, and for production you probably want at least a 4 in 4 out soundcard.
    As for a controller, maybe a midi keyboard, that's what i use with fl studios, and it works great, they are all the same really, if you get a cheap one you might not get all of the fancy knobs and encoders and faders but the main thing is the keys, if they are good you wont actually need or want knobs.
    I agree with digital devil in the sense that you need to explore the software but it is also nice to have something to feel and it gives your productions a quicker more smooth feel when you are making them.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the replies but I wanted to know which one to get since I was offered a 50% off deal at my local instrument shop.

Which one is more friendly with reason?

They are midi controllers, they're friendly with everything that takes midi in.
    Akai controllers are all really well made etc,
    im not too sure about the korgs though, i know the original nanoseries sucked, and their customer support sucks as well.

IMO i would go with the MPK-mini,
    But if i was to choose a keyboard i would go with the m-audio oxygen 8 (or the newer oxygen 25).
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    They are midi controllers, they're friendly with everything that takes midi in.
    Akai controllers are all really well made etc,
    im not too sure about the korgs though, i know the original nanoseries sucked, and their customer support sucks as well.

IMO i would go with the MPK-mini,
    But if i was to choose a keyboard i would go with the m-audio oxygen 8 (or the newer oxygen 25).
    Thanks for the opinion!

Also, for anyone who uses a Mac (I use a MacbookPro 2011 model) is there a way I can separate the audio line in from the audio line out?

I wouldn't go with either, the nanos are cheaply made and won't last, and the mpk mini, the keys are to cramped for my liking and I just don't Kirk the size. TOO SMALL. I would go with something like the oxygen 8 or umx250

I think you could use the headphone out as a line in on the older MBP's but i think thats changed now, what you will need is a soundcard with inputs, i use an M audio MobilePre, you get 2 XLR inputs, 2 TRS inputs and two TRS outputs, got it dirt cheap on ebay as well
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

i've used my nanokontrol with reason before, worked nicely mapped to the mixer.

the series 1 nano's aren't fantastic - but u get a lot of control for the price+size and are find for production stuff.

i dont have a nanopad - went for the lpd8 instead - and the keys on the nanopad aren't ideal for playing like a musical keyboard - but will do if needed (it's all i have atm for programming melodies/chords etc)

i'd say a nice setup - and cheap - would be a lpk25+lpd8+nanokontrol. nanokontrol mk2 has one less channel but more buttons - and led feedback. for "reason" i think the mk1 is a better fit tho.

edit: i'd go for the lpk25+lpd8 over the mpk mini for flexability - and they're about the same price.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i've used my nanokontrol with reason before, worked nicely mapped to the mixer.

the series 1 nano's aren't fantastic - but u get a lot of control for the price+size and are find for production stuff.

i dont have a nanopad - went for the lpd8 instead - and the keys on the nanopad aren't ideal for playing like a musical keyboard - but will do if needed (it's all i have atm for programming melodies/chords etc)

i'd say a nice setup - and cheap - would be a lpk25+lpd8+nanokontrol. nanokontrol mk2 has one less channel but more buttons - and led feedback. for "reason" i think the mk1 is a better fit tho.

edit: i'd go for the lpk25+lpd8 over the mpk mini for flexability - and they're about the same price.
    Thanks for all the tips, though I already purchased the MPK Mini. I've come to get used to it as well. Now, can you recommend a good channel mixer for Reason 5, or is the nanoKontrol good enough?

Also, what is the best 12 Channel mixer for Reason 5?
    Last edited by newbcake; 10-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast