People sometimes have the wrong idea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default People sometimes have the wrong idea

Well apparently this anime convention didn't like the 1st dj for their rave since he was playing house music.

ohhh boy.

Then I started to wonder what went wrong since I didn't go, so I hop on their forum to ask and I get

"Out of the hour we spent at the light rave, about 80% of it was house music :/ That's fine and all, but you would expect more anime and video game music at a con I suppose."

Thats all fine and dandy, I can somewhat see about the videogame music. Not gonna run into cheap anime remixed tracks here in the US
    I went on explaining that buying anime mixed stuff isnt too easy since most of it is on CDs and the import fees are not worth it.
    Then I get

"I think you're taking what I said out of context. I understand what DJ's have to put into there work and gear costs. But I also know of DJ's who make their own mixes off of base source material. We (the fans) are not asking for you to "be an iPod" but what we are asking for is that if a DJ is going to be at an anime convention, make some mixes with anime source material "

Not all of us can mix in anime/video game music in with popular tracks. I sure as hell know I can't so I don't bother. And apparently the people running the rave at the con also didnt like the DJ.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Did they have a listen to what he was going to play prior to hiring him?? That seems like the fault of the convention, not the DJ.

Heck yeah it's gotta be hard to mix in that kind of anime music.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Wizard

True that.
    Do you feel better now?

They'd only be happy with some crazy anime-DJ geek hybrid who'd do it for free because it's his obsession.

It wouldn't be worth it for a regular DJ. Too much money spent on tracks you're never going to use again and too much time to prep a set.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

ayu trance all day errday

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    ayu trance all day errday
    Ayu is the vocalist but she did partner up with some of the big names to do some tracks which are awesome. Sadly not available on beatport. lol.

. . . my niece is handing me all her diapers =_= hard to type loool
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

Which con was it? Every convention i've been to except Anime Boston had pretty awful DJ's; not because they were playing any specific unpopular genre but just cause their EQ levels and mixing was awful.

I would love to have this gig. Let me know if you need help, I f***ing love anime.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    Which con was it? Every convention i've been to except Anime Boston had pretty awful DJ's; not because they were playing any specific unpopular genre but just cause their EQ levels and mixing was awful.
    SabotenCon

it was mainly due to it not having anime/game music
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

Thing is, I love anime, but nearly every "anime techno song" is made of pure fail. Given there are some exceptions (ali nadem - electro saiyans) most of it is pretty bad. It is my dream to DJ a big anime con like anime boston or Connecticon someday, however. The crowd is generally awesome, there are no bouncers, loving atmosphere and the ones i've been to had some amazing lighting setups (also Anime Boston has a showing of ~ 14,000 people which is nothing to scoff at!). The good DJ's at Anime Boston - that everyone loved - didn't play any anime remixes, a couple good video game remixes like Doctor P - Tetris. Maybe the DJ you went to see just genuinely didn't play any 'good' house music?

edit: Also, it doesn't hurt to play some electro/trance/dubstep with crowds like that. House isn't the genre of choice in a group of people that likes crazy energetic stuff. Hell even some Pendulum would've gotten them bouncing off the walls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast