Anyone here with an SSD drive installed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone here with an SSD drive installed?

I want to install an SSD on my MacBook but by reading reviews and consumer reports they seem to be spotty at best. A lot of users experiment BSOD, system lockups and corrupted drives that need drive format etc. Maybe the technology is still not ready for primetime?

Yes, most of the reports and reviews are on windows systems with no in depth report on Macs. So pretty much I want to hear if someone experience with such drives which one their got and price to better make a decision on which to get.

On my experience, mechanical HDD's, WD and Samsung tend to be more reliable than other brands like Seagate, Maxtor. But, now we have companies that historically make RAM doing such storage devices like Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, AData etc and maybe they dont have the experience/data/mass producing tech to do them properly and can afford to have them IRL tested by us using regular warraty.

Also know about experiences modding macbook DVD drive into SSD bay? Particulary if the drive rattles inside or it feels tight and secure inside.

Thanks
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Default Anyone here with an SSD drive installed?

Buy once cry once. Get a 500 gb SSD for the most you can afford. If not go 256 and spend the most you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Buy once cry once. Get a 500 gb SSD for the most you can afford. If not go 256 and spend the most you have.
    Maybe if they were 99.9% reliable I would but too many bad reviews, newegg, amazon, tiger direct, consumer reports... Yes some people are retards and many dont RTFM but so MANY of them?
    Erase. Stop. Start.

My buddy own a computer shop, there's way too much of bad reports on SSD right now, I'm waiting at least another year or so.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

i have a hybrid ssd, 4gb ssd 500 regular, works good, can't complain
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I have a 2008 MacBook Unibody one and I have put a 128GB Kingston SSD in the normal hard drive location and another 128GB Kingston SSD where the optical drive was. So far so good!

I did have a normal 500GB hard drive in the optibay but found my macbook was getting really hot! as it's obviously not designed for that.

I have 2 external drives which I use carbon copy cloner to clone both drives and take them with me to gigs in case I do have a hard drive fail!
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Hey, don't mean to hijack thread (I'm actually considering an SSD myself) but I have a quick question about carbon copy cloner. Is this the same as time machine or different?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

It's different as you have to manually launch the app and start the back up but the best thing it makes your back up drive a bootable system, so should your internal disk fail you could boot from your back up and carry on working
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Got an Intel X25 SSD in the optibay on my MBP and have never had problems. With customer reviews you'll find tons of people talking about HDDs (and anything else) failing as well, so that can really only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    I have a 2008 MacBook Unibody one and I have put a 128GB Kingston SSD in the normal hard drive location and another 128GB Kingston SSD where the optical drive was. So far so good!

I did have a normal 500GB hard drive in the optibay but found my macbook was getting really hot! as it's obviously not designed for that.

I have 2 external drives which I use carbon copy cloner to clone both drives and take them with me to gigs in case I do have a hard drive fail!
    hmmm good alternative you have there.

How you find battery life after removing the mechanical drive?
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast