S4 Versus Numark NS7 for scratching?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S4 Versus Numark NS7 for scratching?

Hey all I've been DJing nearly 25 years, I'm basically a traditional old school Hip Hop scratch DJ (think DJ Premiere style, not Q Bert!). I've been using Traktor for 4 years now and don't really want to change (I use the vinyl control system with 1210s).

But, now I'm selling my gear and just want to replace with a single unit plus a laptop. Now I like the fact the NS7 has motorized platters as it feels more vinyl like, but I seem more drawn to the S4...also, eventually when I have a bigger studio, I'll have decks again and want to plug them into something like the S4 (which is why I don't want the S2)

So, basically, are there any scratch DJs out there used to wax but wanting to change like me to 100% digital with an opinion on these 2 systems?

Many thanks!
    2 x Technic SL1210 mk2s, MacBook 2ghz/2GB RAM/OS X 10.5.4, iMac Aluminium 2GHZ/2GB/OS X 10.5.4 & Windows XP Pro both running Traktor DJ STudio 3.4 & Traktor Scratch, Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, M Audio MK149cmk2 MIDI keyboard, Audio 8 DJ with data encoded vinyl, 2 TB Mp3s & about 1500 vinyls

Tech Mentor

I have an S4 and a rig consisting of 2 x Denon DN-S3700 and a Denon DN-X1600 mixer. I have also tried the NS7 on Itch and both my Denon rig and the NS7 are tons better for scratching than the S4. Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great piece of equipment but for scratching on Traktor the 3700s in hybrid mode is like night and day compared to the S4.

Tech Wizard

Yeah, the S4 aint gonna win you no scratch battles =)
    I recently switched from an NS7 EFX to the S4.
    Mainly because of size and weight issues (The NS7 EFX in it's flight case weighs nearly 31Kgs!!).
    But if you really wanna scratch with a controller IMHO nothing comes close to the NS7.
    All the best!

Dope fellers, respect for the opinions!
    2 x Technic SL1210 mk2s, MacBook 2ghz/2GB RAM/OS X 10.5.4, iMac Aluminium 2GHZ/2GB/OS X 10.5.4 & Windows XP Pro both running Traktor DJ STudio 3.4 & Traktor Scratch, Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, M Audio MK149cmk2 MIDI keyboard, Audio 8 DJ with data encoded vinyl, 2 TB Mp3s & about 1500 vinyls

Tech Mentor

NS7 for scratching mate! I recommend you go to your local DJ retailer (if you're in the US check out guitar center) and try out some controllers!
    TRAKTOR Kontrol S4 | Hercules RMX |Blackbook Pro | HDJ 500
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

I'd say the NS7 !

Quote Originally Posted by Wala View Post
    if you're in the US check out guitar center
    He's in the UK.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Yeah I'm in the UK near Birmingham, I've got both Digital Village and Hard to Find Records Nearby, I've been in a couple of times messing about but not had a serious session on any controller in there but I'm at the point of walking in with cash to walk out with a controller so I'll have a look in there and see what's what...

Tech Wizard

If weight and size isn't an issue, NS7 EFX hands down.
    I still have mine and love the way it feels.
    I bought the S4 out of necessity (dragging the NS7 through a packed club aint no fun)
    But I haven't regretted it at all!
    its really a case of what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts when it comes to their differences.
    BTW if you want retain the vinyl feel have you thought about just getting Serato and using the control records?
    Or are you set on getting a controller?
    Any how that's my 10 cents worth, all the best with what ever you choose
    Ian

Tech Mentor

The DN-S3700s are great for scratching also, I run a pair on traktor and it's as close to real vinyl feel as you can get. I like the 3700's over the NS7 because of the 9" platters (no homo) over the 7" on the NS7 and the additional controls on the 3700s. But the price reflects all of that.

Damn! I didn't know about the Denons, these look dope, how am I gonna justify a grand and a half on the never never to the missus???

I just sold 2 x technics 1210s with a vestax 05 pro 2 pplus Traktor Scratch Pro as a bundle and looking for a single controller to replace the lot...

I'll be DJing on the radio, so a controller is fine but also playing in clubs where I want to be able to cut shit up and juggle. So as much as I can see the S4 as being good for an electronic music DJ, for a traditional scratch DJ that loves wax, mu'fucka I NEED THOSE DENONS!!!

Well, I suppose I can slip one past the missus then get another a month later!

They are dope... but I see they are reviewed back in January 2009 and still retailing for £750ish a pop... I wonder if Pioneer won't come out with something similar (although I just seen that new white thing they're aiming at kids & students)...

I dunno, 2 1/2 years is a long time in the tech game, dunno if I should invest in the Denons or go for the Numark NS7s, but the Denons for me are THE SHIT... it's just a price thing and actually making a few quid out of it playing out... anyway, thanks a lot fellers, I gotta come to a decision soon so I'll let you know what I go for... RESPECT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast