My gig this friday - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    Whie the two other DJ's -do- have more experience than me, it's pretty obvious there's a lot of cronyism going on here. They do not live on this campus, and they are not interns with the group organizing this event, so I fail to see how this is a balanced lineup at all.
    Try and look at this from another perspective. You admit that you have less experience than them (doesn't mean they're better I suppose) and claim there is some cronyism going on. You don't mind the cronyism, you just want it to go in your favor and give a less experienced DJ top billing over more experieced DJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    Have I finally discovered the evils of the party promotion world or are these people just complete douchebags?
    In all the effort you put into putting on the rave you might have lost sight of what it's all about? It shouldn't have been about YOU it should have been about putting on a kick ass event for everyone to enjoy and hopefully you get to put on a bangin set. I would swallow my pride, try to be above the bullshit, try and smooth things over with the other DJ's (they may not be dicks?) and have a good time. Then get his girlfreind wasted and bang her...
    heh just kiddin.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Being the support DJ is every bit as difficult (if not moreso) than being the main act, the main act generally already has a fired up audience, they know what to expect... The support DJ is there to get things moving, keep people in the room happy, bopping and build it up "to a point" where the headliner can walk on stage and the crowd are ready-for-it.

1. I would not play "bangers", certainly not the ones the later dj's are inclined to play.

I've seen many a DJ being "given a shot" and blowing it by playing the biggest, banginest brand newest tunes out there during their hour long slot, sure they could mix, but could not read the situation (no people in the club) whatsoever....never saw/heard them again - I guess back to the bedroom.

2. I would be as friendly as possible to the guys who have been in it longer than you. Not knowing how you handled the situation so far with regards to facebook posting, txt, word of mouth etc.. maybe the damage may already be done (depending on their connections of course).

3. I would not intentionally make it difficult for the other DJ's to follow, its not that hard to spot someone trying "too hard" to come across as the best dj the world has ever seen, and they generally get a rep as an ass.... of course if the later DJ's are any good they'll know what to do anyway's and make YOU feel like the ass.

(If it were me I'd just kill or let your track finish, wait 10 seconds to let everything cool and build everything up again with a long 2 or 3 min intro :P)

4. Its a short set 1hour is nothing really ..so program it well, enjoy the time up their and hopefully theres enough of the crowd in the room during your set to "read" rather than needing to playing blind, get around the floor afterwards see what people thought and have some fun.

Tech Guru

Look, this exact thing happened to me my very first gig. I helped promote/plan the event this one time, then I was the opener.

If it's worth anything:
    I told myself that I would play a consistent set and not mess it up for the later DJs who were dicks to me. So I stuck with my plan, played a solid opening set, got the crowd warmed up and then finished with some higher energy (not highest energy) songs that the crowd was really feeling.

Was my set appreciated by ppl who knew what I was doing (other DJs)? yes.
    Was my set appreciated by ppl who didnt know what I was doing (dancers)? no.

If you properly build a crowd up, you can play some awesome songs earlier in the night... just not all bangers.

So... you have an advantage though since you're a main person in all the planning.

Now you just have to find that fine line between "fu&% you" and "im a better dj"
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Mentor

I think you should make your part about you and stop worrying about the other DJs...make a proper opening set (read some of the recommendations above). But mostly, have fun! Enjoy your time on the decks...it's "you're house" so make sure you also bring your crowd to support you and give you confidence.

Remember Enjoy and Learn!

I hope for your sake they don't read this site!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor
    TRAKTOR Kontrol S4 | Hercules RMX |Blackbook Pro | HDJ 500
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

Tech Mentor

if your promoting it why would you go in and fuck the other guys over? you should just work with them and build the night up to be a huge success. then again if it really bothers yout it is a rave and not a club, so there isnt any real rules, just go all out and make sure you drop anything they where planing on playing ...only you have to drop it better.

Just go in there and do your thing. id rather play a solid 1 hour set (from start to finish) then have to hop off for a lil bit, lose my groove, then try and get back into it. go out, have fun, play to a group of hot girls and then go partyin with them afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgHzzyddOI

^^ been trying to work that into my sets.. one of my personal favorites right now
    + its a lil trance-y which is what you wanted to do anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7mYST9KaA

^^ always great early

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFscKCu-jHs

^^ and yes, its college, 10pm=2am and this will kick shit off (not to mention a well placed cut of the music at "im on a boat motherfucker dont you ever forget" always gets everyone pumped. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    Try and look at this from another perspective. You admit that you have less experience than them (doesn't mean they're better I suppose) and claim there is some cronyism going on. You don't mind the cronyism, you just want it to go in your favor and give a less experienced DJ top billing over more experieced DJ's.

In all the effort you put into putting on the rave you might have lost sight of what it's all about? It shouldn't have been about YOU it should have been about putting on a kick ass event for everyone to enjoy and hopefully you get to put on a bangin set. I would swallow my pride, try to be above the bullshit, try and smooth things over with the other DJ's (they may not be dicks?) and have a good time. Then get his girlfreind wasted and bang her...
    heh just kiddin.

hell yeah. Unless your happily married.

I'm happy to say my gig went off without a hitch! I got the crowd nice and warmed up, finished off with some high energy electro house, and the DJ after me transitioned over to a sick drumstep/dubstep set. Hell yeah!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast