http://www.mixcloud.com/djgstefan/morning-mist/

info:

Morning Mist (Deep Tech House dj mix)
    Production
    -date: 2011 10 01
    -time: 2h30
    -tool: Ableton Live

Track List:

01. Mario & Vidis - Changed ft. Ernesto (Original Mix)
    02. Subsky - Pusu
    03. Steve Bug & Gigi - Like It Should Be (feat. Gigi)
    04. Veitengruber - Gimme Some Muah (Original Mix)
    05. Lovebirds - The Beat Goes Boom
    06. Chelonis R. Jones - Pompadour (Gorge Remix)
    07. Zoe Xenia - Let The Music Play (Original Mix)
    08. Maya Jane Coles - What They Say (Dyed Soundorom Remix)
    09. Alex Arnout - Vanishing Point
    10. Amir - La Ple (Original Mix)
    11. Solomun - Hypnotize

Done on a Saturday morning when I couldn't sleep. No planning before, just picket song while I was writing mails etc. Letting the first song decide what kind of style I wanted. So I dropped the first song in to ableton live, and then i started to look for a song that could fit, and so on. No fancy editing, just a eq 8 on each track so I could cut the bass and I limiter on the master output.

The mix goes from deep and dark (mist), building up slowly to more energy to finnish of with pure love and sunshine, Solomun - Hypnotize.

Im really happy with the result and how fast I did it. I can easily get stuck in the planning mode when I want to do a mix, choosing songs for weeks.

Hope you enjoy it.

Peace and Love

Banned

How can you say no planning when you were making an Ableton mix and not even mixing. Unless I'm missing something here?

Tech Wizard

Well,

I did not plan for the songs. I just tok songs in moment. A lot of mixes are made with some kind of planning. You think about what kind of style you want. Pick some song, listen, will they fit together etc. And then you make the mix. Live or not. You plan the mix.

I think sometimes a mix is all about music selection. Like the one I did. It's not to prove if I can mix or not.

Most people that listen to my mixes know that I can mix, Vinyl, CD or traktor, and dont care if its done live or not. They just want 1h good selected music. That follow a red line, that keeps the listener to listen.

Some mixes I put up is live, some not. This is not mixed live, but I did not think in advance what songs to put.

So yes, I think I can say still, it was no planning.

Or?
    Last edited by djgstefan; 10-06-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Banned

Well, I still say there's planning, because if there's a track you didn't like, or didn't like how it mixed well with the previous track you could go back and take it out and try again.

At that point you're not really "mixing" I'd say, but engineering a mix. And there's nothing wrong with that as that's how a lot of commercially sold mixes are done now a days.

But there's something to be said for those who can sit down infront of their setup, hit record, and 60minutes later have a beautifully recorded mix that has soul and direction with a bit of rawness to it instead of something that's cold and calculated to find the "best" transitions between tracks instead of the best set programming regardless of if the songs "fit" together nicely.

Tech Wizard

So, does it do any different if I tell you that I didnt change any song after picked it and I did not try it before to see if it would fit with in the mix with the song before?

I promise that I just went with the flow from one song to another.

I refuse to say that I planned it. I was to tired for that. I could have change it, but I didnt. And that was the hole point saying, that i didnt plane it. I picked one song and I stuck with it.

So please, accept there was no planning.

Good night
    Last edited by djgstefan; 10-07-2011 at 01:31 AM.