What should I buy? Twitch or Kontrol S2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should I buy? Twitch or Kontrol S2?

So I'm about to upgrade from my Mixtrack/SC2000 setup and I wanna know what you guys recommend? I love the idea of the Twitch but have heard reports of low sound output and bugs regarding certain parts of the Itch software (Saved Loops Not Working, Automatic Cueing..ect). I currently run Traktor2 and I love that setup but Itch looks like some serious fun and I would like to learn it. So whats your guys take on this? Is the Output on the Twitch really that bad?? Should I go with the Kontrol S2 or take a risk on the Twitch???
    Reloop TM4 : Audio6 DJ : Kontrol X1 : Traktor Pro Scratch 2 : Ultrasone DJ1 Pros : Ableton 9 : Launchpad Mini :

The twitch's sound card is quiet, there's no two ways about it. But it's still high quality and the output level can be raised by a gain stage further down the chain, and as a controller it's frickin' awesome.

ITCH 2.0 is brilliant.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

I use the twitch with traktor, its good. I've remapped the beatgrid thing to control a sample deck. I just dont have a use for the sample deck tho

Thanks for the replies. I will be using this in a club environment and I need it to be loud enough to beat match with a CDJ setup. Will the gain on the mixer have enough headroom to get the Twitch up to par with the other inputs on say a DJM800? I really like the idea of not having jog wheels, i never use mine as I don't scratch and have no need for it. But if the output sucks and i'm gonna have to buy a portable preamp to get the gain up I think ill prolly just stick with Traktor and get the S2. Can anyone tell me if the gain on a standard DJ Mixer is efficient to get the Twitch's output up to par with the rest of the inputs on a club system?
    Reloop TM4 : Audio6 DJ : Kontrol X1 : Traktor Pro Scratch 2 : Ultrasone DJ1 Pros : Ableton 9 : Launchpad Mini :

Tech Mentor

i have the same question, and am also leaning towards the twitch. Any suggestions for controllers in the 500 usd range?

Xone DX ftw! :-)

the DX is outta my price range. Can anyone tell me if the output on the Twitch run through a standard mixer to add gain will get it loud enough to play on a club system?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Isnt the dx approx 550 usd? If its attractive to u, u may just want to waot and save up the extra 50. The dx is kind of big for my tastes for a controller. Twitch is such an awesome size. Would u even like the dx? Its huge compared to the s2 and twitch i think.

I ran twitch thru a djm900 onto a powered set of monitors and i can get it up to a level that is comparable to a cdj.

This was not in a club environment. I have heard from others that twitch can work in a club by running thru a djm channel. However, i think i saw ONE guy post on novations board that he couldnt do this.. So i cant say with certainty but my guess woukd be that you could get enough juice out of it that if ur running thru a house mixer, ull b fine. Check out novations forum tho.

Its a a shame they didnt nail the direct output sound level on twitch cuz itd basically be perfect in my opinion if they did (minus the filter knob thing - which they also did on the s2 for whatever reason but at least u can adjust that via traktor software settings unlike itch). Sound output is the absolute biggest compaint from the twitch user community.
    i mean, the twitch seems awesome, but so does the DX. I don't really care about size, but either way, i feel like the DX and twitch are now in direct competition for my ownership lol
    Plus A&H is known for good sound quality so now its a toss up, but I would be sending my outputs on the twitch to a club mixer, so now i really am unsure..........
    edit: @ Otter: google xone dx and look under prices. it ranges from 500 to 1000. Just depends where you shop..

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    I dunno tho.. Something about the look of the dx would deter me from buying it.. Theres gotta be a reason that the price just took a 50 percent plummet in the last month or two.. I realize theres new controllers coming out so i could see a 25 percent reduction at most especially on a&h equipment but 50 percent seems like something is wrong. Check out the reviews and try to handle one before buying. It just strikes me as cheaply made even if it bears the a&h name. I see a ton of various complaints about the thing just by briefly looking. Theres a pic out there that really throws this controller under the bus with the way it looks (like a sticker that has screws PRINTED on them lol).

I could be completely wrong here so dx owners please correct me if ud vouch for this controller.

Note, i have never touched, played with or even seen a dx in person so this is just my opinion based on web reviews, pics that ilooked at this morning. And the price drop thing concerns me (tho i may be reading too much into the reasons for the drop).

If u know u can go thru a mixer, twitch will b fine im sure.

If ur still concerned, i really dont think u can go wrong witht the s2. i played with s4 for a month or so and thought it was incredible and the best traktor controller i ever had the opportunity to get my hands on - i can say in my opinion, it was better than pioneers 2 controllers, xponent, an older american audio controller all of which ive played with. The native connections between kontrol and traktor are spot on. Ud be hard pressed to find an s4 owner who doesnt love it. So im imagining the same for s2.

But the traktor vs itch thing may need to be the thing that makes up ur mind and may want to be ur first decision.. Sounds like ur leaning towards itch, ya? If so, why?
    I read the djtt review, and apparently the sound card is really good, but the jogs suck. But I don't care about jogs, I'd only use them to pitch bend.
    It seems to me like the dx has more controls for the money, plus 4 decks, but the twitch has splicing, which seems really sick, plus really portable. But I don't want to always be dependent on having an external mixer at my gigs, and stuff, while the dx is good to go. ehhhh i really don't know now but im leaning towards itch because both are already mapped, and the twitch has splicing, which traktor users haven't been able to replicate yet. Plus both come with itch, so I don't have to buy any software.

Cheapest DX ive seen online is 799.00, so thats not gonna be an option for me. Leaning towards the S2 since I know its just gonna work with minimal fiddling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast