New monitors choice help

Default New monitors choice help

Hi there guys, helping my friend pick some new monitors at the moment cos he doesn't really know much about audio (just wants some really good speakers) so he's enlisted my help but as far as studio monitors go my knowledge only really extends as far as what iv read.
    The budget is around £280-300. Iv been looking at the Mackie mr5's and wondered what peoples oppinion on here was of them. If any of you have experience with them id appreciate your input.
    I know a guy with some mr8's and they are awesome, but as well as just being a higher model they also have much better response on the low end frequency's. Will the mr5's be good enough without a sub? cheers.

I'd suggest hitting the search button up top chap - this question gets asked umpteen times a week.

Most people rate the KRK Rokit range.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

There's only one answer: go to the store together (well, he by himself would be sufficient, but together it's probably more fun) and listen to all the speakers within the price range (with some music you guys know well)!
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

i vote for yamaha hs50m

the mackie mr5 is okay as well

i find the krk rp5 to be a bit bass heavy and not-so-flat
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

I recently bought mr5s, I picked them up because they sounded more natural than the krk's to my ear.

everyone here seems to be fans of the krks but tbh iv not been too impressed myself, iv only heard them a number of times (we went to a local store recently) but felt that they are a bit over rated, they arn't anywhere near as clear as the other monitors in the same price ranges iv heard. The local shops dont really have a big enough range to be able to judge what the best choice.