First time MIDI user needs mapping help

Default First time MIDI user needs mapping help

Hi, I have been mixing for about 3 years now, but was on CDJs until just recently when I purchased a korg nanokontrol2.

I want to use it with traktor pro 2 for basic mixing and fx controls, but having no previous exposure to MIDI and mapping, i am sitting here looking at the kontrol editor software scratching my head. I have been trying to refer to the manual and other online guides however I cannot seem to find anything very helpful.

I would prefer to gain understanding of being able to make my own mappings as apposed to downloading someone elses .tsi file. Any help or even a link to a webpage/video would be great!

any further questions please feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Devils Advocato; 10-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.

oh wow, extremely helpful! thank you so much! I have begun reading it and it is extremely helpful! I will post any questions if they come along but now that I have the mappings started hopefully it will be smooth sailing.

Thanks again!

everything is smooth sailing so far except I have a slight problem. It is more a traktor problem than a mapping one, but when I have a hotcue looped and I switch to another hotcue, the loop goes away. Is there anyway so when i switch hotcues the loop of the same size stays on?

duhh sounds so obvious now XD thank you! keep in mind this is my first exposure to traktor

Just mess about in traktor. the editor itself is rather crappy (small window, etc) but gives you a good start into the whole midi-side of things. I would suggest not stating with the kontrol editor, since it doesn't give you a direct feeling of what you're doing (since it about editing the controller itself and not gives you "when i push this button, this happens")
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    Just mess about in traktor. the editor itself is rather crappy (small window, etc) but gives you a good start into the whole midi-side of things. I would suggest not stating with the kontrol editor, since it doesn't give you a direct feeling of what you're doing (since it about editing the controller itself and not gives you "when i push this button, this happens")
    thanks for the advice. yeah, once I learned how to map things thru traktor and I got a feel it I just mapped away and ignored the editor. Just curious as to when if ever, will I be changing things in the editor?

Tech Guru

I think I should update my book I have done loads of new mappings, so learned a few new tricks plus a few things you can do with the sample decks

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocato View Post
    thanks for the advice. yeah, once I learned how to map things thru traktor and I got a feel it I just mapped away and ignored the editor. Just curious as to when if ever, will I be changing things in the editor?
    Probably never, unless you have conflicting midi channels (which will not happen in your case since you only have one controller so far) or when you bump into a limitation when it comes to modifiers, but I think the kontrol2 already has 4 layers of midi built in.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9