Should I buy a MIDI Fighter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I buy a MIDI Fighter?

Let's admit it, they're total eye candy and I have money to spend. What exactly is a complete, all around definition of a MIDI Fighter? and how will I benefit from buying one? I'm still a noob practicing my mixing until I get good enough to start gigging but I want to know if I should buy a MF.

Yes! The djtt staff need wages!
    Watch any midifighter video you can find and ask yourself would I use it.
    All round definition? 16 arcade buttons that output midi
    How will you benefit from it? Anything could happen, you could be the next Jeremy Ellis or you may just look at it every night
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

that really didn't help me much in understanding, but thanks.
    | 2011 Macbook Pro 15" | Kontrol S4 | Traktor Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ-1000k |

What are you looking for? In my opinion the YouTube videos people have put up totally show its potential.
    I have a few midifighters and pretty much everyone thats posted here about buying one has good things to say.
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Even if you don't use it when mixing just looking at it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I think you get a number of different things with a MidiFighter.

1. The Arcade buttons - they are fun and durable. This is unless you are specifically looking for a more drum pad feel in which case you might want to look elsewhere.

2. Replaceable parts - you can change out any part. This is great if something goes wrong or you just want to switch it up. No need to send something back as MFs are designed to be user serviceable.

3. TSI Files - I don't know of other controllers that have the same quality of mappings out of the gate.

4. DJTT Service- Unless you have purchased from these guys, you won't know how good they are. They are used to dealing with people from across the globe and do so with ruthless efficiency. They all know their controllers and most of them build MFs at one time or another. The fact that DJTT is the size that it is means they live and die based on their reputation. This is directly to your benefit.

5. Forum Support- In addition to the DJTT staff there is a global community of experts that will answer your questions day or night. I ran into a fairly obscure hardware issue when a shitty USB hub fried a bunch of my stuff. The forum fixed it - simple as that. The forum is also a great place to get new mappings and to get help developing your own.

If you make your buying decisions based purely on price and hardware specs you might find cheaper stuff, but you get what you pay for. There are very few independently wealthy people on this site and none of us buy from DJTT because we think they are "cool". We buy from them because their products are are designed by Djs, they have a deep technical understanding of our space and if something goes wrong - they'll fix it.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Mine's on it's way! I thought about it for ages about whether I'd use it or not but with the S4 Buddy instant gratification mapping who wouldn't want to bash buttons mess with effects!?

I've already had fun with it and I've not even got it yet, designing it on the site kept me busy for hours!

Just get one! if you don't use it someone will always buy it off you on here or eBay
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Buy a MF classic to start with, use the deckalized focus ab mapping,
    If you are using it in Traktor to control two decks.

That is a good mapping to start off with, but there is a load of other mappings to use which you can find in the forum.

The midifighter is great to use for controlling the deck controls.
    Triggering off effects and beat juggling/jumping.
    2x Technics 1200's - Xone 92 -
    MidiFighter Classic x2 - TSP2 - Audio 10 - Black MacBook

new owner of an old midifighter classic here...

the build is fantastic and overall smaller than i had expected. i'm adding it to my setup for some combination of cue points, sample deck control and/or effects. the action of the arcade buttons seems perfect for that.

i'm pretty sure that i'll be picking up a 2nd one at some point, which would be another classic as opposed to a pro i reckon as i really don't need the extra faders. i can see how the 4 buttons for changing banks external 4banks mode style would be useful tho.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

I have a weak controller, vestax spin, that is essentially just a mixer with jog wheels, that is mapped to control 4 decks. The mf adds extra controls to make beat mashing and other effects easy and natural to my work flow. I looked at a bunch of things with buttons before coming back to mf several times. The simplicity of 16 buttons makes learning a map fast, which is nice, I have no need for a color scheme. If nothing else, buttons to mash on is fun.
    I'm thinking about making a file that is a scaled tone to cue point juggle, so that I can use it to play a melody directly in Tracktor. Crabbing cue points and playing with using it to control "samples" this way is also a lot of fun.
    You need one when you start to think, man I wish I had some buttons to control stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast