Blue playhead ahead of red playhead in some tracks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue playhead ahead of red playhead in some tracks?

Hey guys,

Just wondering why this is happening on some tracks...

The blue playhead will sometimes be ahead of the red playhead by 1 or 2 beats in Traktor 2. Other times it could be half a beat, and other times 20+ beats. Why is this? I find it quite distracting.

i'm using timecode if that changes anything.

someone mentioned something to me that the blue marker is for absolute mode. so for instance, let's say i have a track that i put into a loop, while the track is looping, the blue marker will move ahead of the red marker thus showing the absolute position of the track ( i assume).

HOWEVER, with some tracks, the track starts with the blue marker already 1 or 2 beats ahead of the red marker before i even press play, thus making it quite confusing to see 2 markers moving forward (red & blue) while the track is playing.

here's an example: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...6&d=1317611125

in the example i never entered into a loop. i simply pressed play and let the track play out.

any help is appreciated!

the blue marker is indeed for absolute mode, it basically indicates where on the vinyl the needle is (and therefore where the track would be if you were in absolute mode. If you go from relative mode to absolute, the playback will jump to where the blue marker is.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Yes. I understand this. But my question is, why does the blue playhead appear ahead of the red track upon loading a track ??? This should not happen. Technically the red and the blue should lineup exactly upon loading and the blue should only go ahead of the red when I enter into a loop for instance. Please let me know if I'm missing something!

It's got nothing to do with when you load the track, it's just the position of the vinyl. If you put the needle at the very beginning of the timecode, the blue line will line up. If the needle's a minute into the vinyl when you load the track in the software, the blue marker will be a minute in.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

ok. but i'm using cdj's. each time i load up a track, i go back to the very beginning of track 2 on the timecode. and i also have the option in preferences "reset deck upon loading each track" ticked.

so explain to me how it's possible that when i load a track from my track collection to track 2 that the blue playhead is sometimes 1 or 2 beats ahead of the red? theoretically they should both start together. it makes zero sense that some tracks will lineup perfectly while others don't. i do the exact same thing each and every time i load a track into a deck, therefore i would expect the same behavior from the playhead as well.

No idea mate, sorry.

do you use load markers in your tracks, i also use timecode cd and for tracks that i have load markers set in, traktor switches to relative mode when i load that track. hope this helps
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

also just noticed in your picture, that you are indeed in relative mode, when you initially start traktor, do you click relative, or absolute?
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

dont worry mate, it's because every track has different lead in time, i.e. the empty space before the track starts. Timecode is aligned to your track, therefore track is not aligned to the timecode.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    also just noticed in your picture, that you are indeed in relative mode, when you initially start traktor, do you click relative, or absolute?
    nope. i don't have use load markers. so i guess that wouldn't account for it.

to answer your other question, when i open traktor, it starts in absolute mode. when i play the 1st track in each deck, i will then click on the relative mode button to switch each deck permanently to relative mode since i don't like the way absolute mode acts when i load the next tracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast