prepared sets vs freestyle mixing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I always go into a set with 5 MP3 discs (always have other back ups incase one shats itself). But these MP3 discs have all the tracks i will need for that night warm up tracks, main set tracks, inbetween tracks and classics (all organised but i won't go into that).

I never have a clue what set i will play, i wing it 100% of the time, Longs i have my discs i will survive as i know the crowds i play to and what they like at my residencies so makes it easier.

Tech Mentor

I'm over prepared for everything that I do, I have a backup mix recorded onto a CD incase my laptop goes down, I take a midi keyboard just incase one of my controllers goes down, I have the bmp, key and cue points set for EVERY track i'm going to be using.

I dont think i'd be able to go in with no preparation i'm not experienced enough yet.
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Quote Originally Posted by towifer View Post
    I'm over prepared for everything that I do, I have a backup mix recorded onto a CD incase my laptop goes down, I take a midi keyboard just incase one of my controllers goes down, I have the bmp, key and cue points set for EVERY track i'm going to be using.

I dont think i'd be able to go in with no preparation i'm not experienced enough yet.
    Sounds like you have everything sorted really for your gigs.

But may i say the only way you will gain the experience is by making the rookie mistakes and that little lack of prep.

Tech Mentor

I guess at some point i'm going to get asked to do a gig and not have the time to prepare, but i'll always try and be organised its just in my nature to be really organised with everything that I do
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    It depends what kind of set you're playing. If you're a bug name guy who people have gone to see specifically, then you could have a pretty locked down set that you know people will dig.

Personally most of my gigs are for 5-6 hours in a bar/club so there's no way I could prepare a set even if I wanted to. I much prefer vibing off the crowd. And the panic of finding the next tune can result in some inspired last minute song choices.

This +1
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Ah, this again. Carry on.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Bitt a both, I play loads of mini set (groups of songs I know work together)
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    I'd compare it to making food...
    I see your point but don't think it's the best analogy. if you have a cook who is cooking a steak one bite at a time, then that is different though. The reason I say this is that planning an entire set IS like cooking by a recipe. What you put out is what they get. A good DJ is unlike a cook though. He can and should completely change directions if the patrons aren't feeling it. A large part is reading the crowd. That's why planning all the way through is just a bad idea, and a waste of pay on a promoters part.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12