prepared sets vs freestyle mixing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default prepared sets vs freestyle mixing?

just wondering what people prefer when they play out between preparing a set , or just winging it. on one hand you have a set you can practice and get to sound how you want, but is rigid and allows for minimal crowd interaction, and on the other hand you can try to go solely from the feel of the crowd, but have to constantly worry about finding the next track. I've tried both approaches but often wonder if other people struggle with this decision when they do shows.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

i tend to have some sort of structure in my sets, but of course it all depends on what the crowd wants, i usually work with maybe a few songs that go well to start, then wing it, and of course work off knowing which tracks work well together etc

A completely prepared set is more or less a venue/promoter overpaying for what a CD could have done.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    A completely prepared set is more or less a venue/promoter overpaying for what a CD could have done.
    Totally agree with this

Tech Guru

does freestyle mixing mean actually freestyle mixing or using beatgridded tunes you used MiK on with all the loop and cue points already set?

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    or its someone who takes their job seriously and wants to put their best effort in for the crowd/client.

I think you should have a general idea where you want the set to go, but making the adjustments to connect with the crowd is crucial

I'd compare it to making food.

Some people prefer following a recipe to a T. Having all the items at hand, mostly measured out to specific amounts, and just following the plan. I like to call these people "bakers".

Some people have an idea of what to make and how to make it, but like to improvise a bit with the timing and exact amounts. These people enjoy mixing things up a bit and going with what they know naturally. I like to call these people "chefs".

When you go out for a meal, it really depends on the time and the venue if you want something that a baker would make, or a chef. Both can make excellent food, and it's often quite different. Sometimes it's absolute crap as well.

Sometimes the baker ends up just going off the recipe and going with what they feel might work better. Sometimes a chef needs to follow a recipe to get something correct.

Either way, it's all good eating.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

lol thats a way of explaining it. Well my opinion is to have couple tracks that goes well in mind instead of whole prepared set.

It depends what kind of set you're playing. If you're a bug name guy who people have gone to see specifically, then you could have a pretty locked down set that you know people will dig.

Personally most of my gigs are for 5-6 hours in a bar/club so there's no way I could prepare a set even if I wanted to. I much prefer vibing off the crowd. And the panic of finding the next tune can result in some inspired last minute song choices.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

I go into any set with at least an idea of what I'll be doing, perhaps some mini-sets in mind, but never anything completely planned. To me the two biggest things in DJing are track selection and reading a crowd, which go completely hand-in-hand with each other. If you plan your set completely rigid, and the crowd doesn't dig it, what are you going to do? So, on a personal note, you'll never hear a completely planned live set from me.... Ever....
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast