IMTC 102 - Gentlemen's Dubstep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IMTC 102 - Gentlemen's Dubstep

Get it HERE

Anyone who knows me (Mr MixTrain aka SmiTTTen aka Fatter Agnus aka Raging Doris) will tell you how much I loathe Dubstep. As far as I am concerned, it’s just a bunch of synthesizers with chronic speech impediments catering to the needs of the great unwashed. That in mind, I set the crew a task, put together an hour’s mix that represents Dubstep for the more refined generation. No annoying stammering bass lines or Wall Streetesque drops that the kids can nod to.

What they created was 60 minutes of Dubstep music that I don’t hate. When it comes to this genre, this is without doubt, the highest level of praise imaginable. So, it’s actually very good and you should listen to it.

Howitzer (Nottingham, UK)

• Phaeleh - Lounge
    • Sepalcure - Taking You Back
    • XXXY - You Always Start It
    • Ramadanman - Humber
    • Pinch - Get Up (RSD Remix)

Maxx Traxx (South Coast, UK)

• Price - Contempt for all humankind (Submerse Remix),
    • Phaeleh - Afterglow,
    • Synkro - Everybody Knows,
    • Lung - Afterlife

Squeakyneb (Somewhere in deepest, darkest Australia)

• Emalkay - A.G.S. - Original Mix - N/A (Facebook Freebie)
    • haywirehaywire - Sanguinary - Original Mix - Newgrounds.com Audio Portal
    • Jogo - Atra - Original Mix - N/A (Squittybubbler Freebie)
    • Jogo - Subconscious - Original Mix - N/A (Squittybubbler Freebie)

FutureKing (South Coast, UK)

• Conquest - Forever
    • Fat Freddys Drop - Cays Crays (Digital Mystikz Mix)

HighFee (Boulder, Colorado, USA)

• Psychedelic - Eddie K & Minus - Hench Recordings
    • We Are IE - Lennie De Ice (Caspa & Rusko Remix) - y4k
    • Jumpin' (Original Mix) - Kromestar

Professor Ben (LA, California, USA)

• OSC - Evolution
    • Sharmaji & DJ Boo - Skank Ethics
    • Vaski & Sublime - Summertime (Crunkinpublic smashup)
    • Hey-O-Hansen - Zulu
    • Sabat' Machines - Sylvia
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Big tings!
    Good to see its finished, gonna get my ears around it, stat!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Listening now, but I'm skeptical.

On a completely unrelated note I watched Gentlemen Broncos the other day. Funny stuff.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You and I are probably of the same opinion when it comes to dubstep. I have endured untold aural assaults based on someone assuring me that "it's not like the other stuff". This however, I actually bearable. Professor Ben's last 10 minutes are particularly good (IMO).

Tech Mentor

I listened to this mix, streaming via subsonic, on the car stereo while driving across the country with my parents. They don't exactly have a booming system in the new Subaru wagon, and I didn't exactly crank it as they are not the worlds biggest EDM fans. Here's my feedback.

- This mix was pleasant to listen to. It wasn't exactly very compelling or exciting, but it was pleasant. This is in stark contrast to most mixes labelled "dubstep" today, which are FILTHY BANGIN GRIMEY BEAST MIXES FULL OF ROBOT CHAINSAWS.

- On the other hand, I honestly wouldn't call most of this music "dubstep." It doesn't sound like old school dubstep and it doesn't sound like new school brostep. It sounds like.. breakbeat house. Garage. Not "dub"step.

- The mixes, and the mix train joins, all sounded smooth. I didn't notice any levels problems, harmonic clashes, or phasing or phrasing mistakes.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Thanks for the feedback; I'm really pleased with the way this mix turned out. And yeah I think it's definitely "dubstep," though perhaps a different subgenre than skrillex and the like. Certainly not garage or house or anything I've ever considered breakbeat, but who knows -- genres are amorphous anyway. But yeah it's good to know dubstep isn't all about the robot apocalypse!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

If nothing else, this mix doesn't sound like an angry construction worker sucking a bouncy castle through the eye of a needle.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    If nothing else, this mix doesn't sound like an angry construction worker sucking a bouncy castle through the eye of a needle.
    Bwahahahahaha...

Also if someone could point me at some dubstep of this nature that is in the 85 bpm range rather than the 70 bpm range I'd appreciate it...
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Also if someone could point me at some dubstep of this nature that is in the 85 bpm range rather than the 70 bpm range I'd appreciate it...
    I know there's drumstep, but that's more of the brosteppish range. Don't think I've heard anything like that... I NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by squeakyneb View Post
    I know there's drumstep, but that's more of the brosteppish range. Don't think I've heard anything like that... I NEED IT!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v84fj5yTuNQ

Not brostep and pretty much the kind of stuff I'm looking for, but I'd like to know artists that specialize in this sort of Drumstep, the only stuff I seem to come up with are dnb artists that make the occasional relaxed drumstep sound, only other drumstep I know about are the labels Play Me and Heavy Assault and that is the sound of brain cells dying a painful death
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast