Losing concentration after mixing for 30 minutes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Losing concentration after mixing for 30 minutes

If i'm freestyling at home, and recording the mix, the majority of the time after about the 15 or 20 minute mark, my transitions just start to get dodgy. I have no idea why this happens, or why i lose concentration after that, even with a bit of a break and maybe a drink during every song.

Any ideas on how I can improve my DJ 'endurance' so this doesn't keep happening? It's getting annoying now, because I can't mix any more than half an hour without it being really bad.

Any ideas besides practice?

Cheers<3
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

Focus

I'm the same when i'm at home I checking my phone, checking my email after i've been mixing for a certain amount of time, but when i go out and play (the one time so far) my level of focus went up and it didn't go to shit like it sometimes does at home
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

It might actually be fatigue. I used to get this when I was mixing and standing on a hard wood floor.

Try getting a soft mat / rug / whatever to stand on when mixing, see if that helps.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

I get the same thing, but when I play for people time just seems to fly by.
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

Tech Wizard

I break my practice up, granted normally I work 7 days a week, but I consider practice my time even though I'm generally beat.
    I set up and if I feel like mixing for a bit, I go for it, if I feel I have more limited time, maybe I practice a weird transition or mash up. I don't push myself to points where I don't enjoy it.
    I also mix up free vs. structured practices. If I'm in a free practice playing what ever it is I want, and it isn't working, I take the time to start to develop a playlist, maybe only a couple of songs deep. Structured practices I am usually recording, and often will just move on when failing and take note on why. Sometimes I will practice the parts of a structured mix that are giving me trouble, and consider that my time for the day other times I feel like trying to get thru the hour and see what happens after going over the tough spots.
    The beauty of practice sessions is that you can always rewind, go thru the mix again. If it is a phrasing issue, you can count back the beats, know your mark and go thru it again and again, maybe you need to be more on top the eq, nothing stops you from doing it again. No one is there judging you, except you.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think an important skill to learn is playing on after these screw ups. Everybody does it, but the good DJ's can keep playing without it affecting the rest of your set.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

This
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think an important skill to learn is playing on after these screw ups. Everybody does it, but the good DJ's can keep playing without it affecting the rest of your set.
    and this
    I also mix up free vs. structured practices.
    Usually on a free-form practice it's new tracks that i'm not too familiar with or tracks that don't usually pop up on my playlist radar...or something offbeat that piqued my interest at some point in the past. Don't get discouraged and drive on enjoying the music. Figure out what it is that bothers you about the mix and patch it.

Tech Mentor

Invite some girls round get a bottle of vodka do this and I can assure you it will help

In general playing with people there keeps up concentration in my experience

I've found that my focus tends to drift in between mixes while the song is playing. When performing that time goes by fast, but when practicing it seems to last forever.

So I just tend to work on the mixes itself and not let the songs play all the way thru when practicing.

loss of concentration and boredom can often be a symptom of digital DJing, but what I did was get new equipment (for eg. the midi fighter), so whenever i get bored waiting for the song to finish, i play with that and mess with the effects on my midi fighter. Keep in mind when your practising its all about you, so if whatever you do or try to do sounds bad, don't worry about it. Have fun with it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast