Dubspot DJ School: Is it worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Considering that I've never heard Endo–one of their instructors–give a piece of good advice, I'd say it's a complete waste of money.

Seriously…almost everything I've heard him say is at best counterproductive if not actively wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    $12600? damn thats a lot of money for an online course

do you at least get a diploma when you are done?

is it 100% online or is there any live one-on-one lectures?
    Yeah it's $14,900 for the in person lectures in NY and $12,600 for just online courses.

http://www.dubspot.com/programs/digi...om=531#courses

http://www.dubspot.com/programs/djpr...om=531#courses

To be fair if you did the whole thing in person I'm confident you would be magnitudes more equipped to produce music than if you got a degree from most technical colleges. The curriculum is extremely thorough.

I've taken a few of their one-off seminars - a couple weekends on Ableton and such. All in person and all great ... and not so ridiculously overpriced (like 200-300 per weekend, none of this five figure stuff). Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on online classes but if you did I'm pretty sure you would learn a lot.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

That reminds me I still have a credit for a weekend seminar, too bad I'm not in NY.

all i can say is that if you have money to burn then by all means but if not LIY learn it yourself. not everybody have money to burn in their pockets...

why dont you try SAE Institute? I just finished their diploma (and now about to do the degree) and i find it was absolutely worth the money, they teach you starting from the basics (analog consoles, signal flows, decibels and fundamentals of audio etc) up until electronic music production, mastering, band recording etc

and you get to operate many world class equipment and consoles like the SSL (not serato scratch live - solid state logic which is pretty much a $100,000 mixer) and you are free to book studio sessions to make use of their studio equipment during the course of your studies

im not feelin this whole online course thing, you can learn a lot online for almost next to nothing but $12000 for it? better just put a little extra and do the live courses (as you mentioned $14000 something?), at least when you ask questions (and you will do - a lot!) you get an instant response and when you make a mistake they can immediately correct you or criticize you - the whole interaction aspect is, in my opinion, very important in audio engineering courses
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    why dont you try SAE Institute?
    there are some ridiculously dodgy SAE's though. Signed up in Brisbane (oz). studio was pretty rubbish, macs were maintained poorly, with plenty not available, classes were oversubscribed so you struggled to even get a Mac or studio time, and the particular course lecturer i had was a 19 year old who wasn't very clear or concise. Waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    there are some ridiculously dodgy SAE's though. Signed up in Brisbane (oz). studio was pretty rubbish, macs were maintained poorly, with plenty not available, classes were oversubscribed so you struggled to even get a Mac or studio time, and the particular course lecturer i had was a 19 year old who wasn't very clear or concise. Waste of time
    wow , surprised to hear that! over here in Singapore we have really awesome lecturers, they have so much knowledge that they are like the equivalent of jedi masters (lol) well they are pretty old so thats probably why they have heaps more experience than the 19 year old you mentioned

studio time can be tough during the finals but for the most part are pretty easy to get, plenty of full-stocked mac pros (the 4 core+ones) to be used as there are plenty of them, all loaded with goodies (reason,logic, protools and the lot) so some of the students who dont have a mac pretty much stays in the school 24/7

perhaps different countries have different management so it could be different, the TS can perhaps suss out the local branches and speak to the lecturers etc and check out what equipment they got
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Wizard

for $12000 wouldnt you just buy equipment and learn by your self ?
    I Don't Wan To Go The Ocean ... Thers King Fish Out Derr Man

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast