Dubspot DJ School: Is it worth it? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I know a guy that is currently attending classes at dubspot nyc and it was all funded by our lovely state Belgium. Somehow with a lot of political bullshit he was recognized as a musical talent by the state etc so got some funds. Pretty cool if you ask me.

He says it's a lot of hard work. They don't fuck around when it comes to assingments and homework and that the tempo of the lessons is kinda high.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So, I skipped through the video and might have been missing stuff. Congrats, this is one that doesn't seem to have anything wrong or specifically harmful, but it's also things I learned in my first guitar lesson.
    You learned the pentatonic scale in your first guitar lesson, well then why don't we all just learn from you?

What I learned from this, I need to learn some basic music theory combined with some basic piano skills first. Open up a DAW and spend six months with it. Then, if I have the money and the time take a coarse do that, but not before haveing the basics down...

btw, in the dupstop youtube vid on previous page, what synth is he using... i like the look of it..
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DEEP SEA DJ View Post
    What I learned from this, I need to learn some basic music theory combined with some basic piano skills first. Open up a DAW and spend six months with it. Then, if I have the money and the time take a coarse do that, but not before haveing the basics down...
    Yes! This is exactly right!

Quote Originally Posted by benjackal View Post
    Neither of those are synths. Was there a soft synth he was using that I didn't notice or was that was you were asking, deep sea?

Quote Originally Posted by benjackal View Post
    You learned the pentatonic scale in your first guitar lesson, well then why don't we all just learn from you?
    Also 5th, 7th, and 9th chords and blues shuffle…which is what I saw of his lesson was based on (except 7th and 9th chords instead of 5th and 7th chords and a different rhythm). But, I knew I wanted to play blues…so that's the obvious place to start.

But that's my entire point. He didn't say anything wrong, but there's no freaking way I'd pay for that unless there was someone sitting there advising/correcting my finger technique on the keyboard. And nothing else he said was the least bit relevant. Fifteen minutes on wikipedia could teach you more once you have a clue how to play piano/keyboard…or before that if you like sequencing with a mouse.

Seriously…piano lessons. The hard part is finding a teacher who doesn't suck and is cool with why you're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by armyofme4340 View Post
    Wow why is everyone complaining about the price. Education is expensive everywhere. Dubspot is a serious school not just some YouTube videos.

If you are serious about your music you shouldn't care how much it cost. As xone said you can only learn so much over videos.

While I'm sure you can develop your craft going solo and becoming great, it will only help you along the way.

Trust me when I say education is expensive. I paid $16,000 per semester at my school, which has 8 semesters. That's a crapload of money, however only 2 years out of school and I'm almost done paying it off because of the fact that I learned so much and developed my skills.

So there you have it, I'm pro DIY learning and pro educational institute. Dubspot has leading industry professionals so they are legit, but if you think the money is too much then learn as much as you can on your own, but it won't be nearly as fast or dense as it would if you were at a school.
    Word

I took their Maschine course online, and let me tell you, the first week itself I was amazed by how much I learned. And the weeks to come after that (It was a 3 month course), I never thought i'd learn as much as the first week but literally each and every week you learn SO MUCH. And if you stay on top of the assignments as you should, you get SO MUCH out of it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

This solidified me wanting to go NY to take their Ableton and other courses. If you get more out of it being there in person (which I am sure you are), it's probably the best investment you'll make in your life, if you wan't to do music professionally.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle DJ View Post
    Been using Traktor/Traktor 2 for some time now and playing paid gigs on a somewhat regular basis. Just starting to learn abelton but looking to really tear it apart. In my search for online tutorials, I keep coming across these awesome videos for Dubspot DJ school in NY. After reading the descriptions and watching their videos it looks totally awesome. The only problem is the price...

$12,600 seems like an awful lot of money for an online certificate program... I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone taken any of their classes, online or in person, and what did you think? Was it worth the money? Did you learn a lot and would you recommend it to a friend? Or... do you think these courses are unnecessary? Is it possible to learn all of these things without paying a lot of money and if so, what do you think is the best way?

I'm not knocking or promoting the insitution in any way. Just looking for the best way to learn more about the digital DJing and production stuff that we all love so much!

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions and experiences,
    Uncle DJ
    Would this be a hobby of your or something your looking to make a career out of?
    If this is just a hobby of yours, and you have the money to burn go to it.
    If it's a hobby and you don't have the money to burn skip it and learn what you can on your own.

If this is something you plan to make a career out of then than it hard to put a price on education.
    For production; the first thing I would recommend is piano lessons.

Hi guys,

I know this thread is old but i just found it. I was thinking of going to dubspot la but I heard that one of their instructors walked out of the class mid-session and said a bunch of stuff about how bad the organiztion is. does anyone know about this?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456