Transtion tips please...
    Tech Student

Default Transtion tips please...

Hi all,
    I'm relatively new to DJin and pretty much self taught my self 'how to' by using youtube and reading forums etc..
    I think ive pretty much mastered 'the basics' ie 4 and 8 beat loops, cueing and dropping in the on the '1' count etc, but my mixes dont really sound as 'crisp' as id like?!
    Im currently using Traktor Pro 2 (Awesome program) and a Numark Omni Control (seemed the better option considerin my budget at the time of purchase). I am just simply 'going from one song to the next' by beat matching and using the Bass kill switches to perform the transition.
    It does produce an 'OK' mix but not as crisp and smooth as id like it.

Has anybody got any tips to assist in a smoother transition? Should i turn the bass knobs slowly the opposite ways or be using more than the bass? There are times when i can here what i can only describe as a 'popping' sound in the background, which is clearly the out track once the bass has been cut?! Sometimes however, the mix sounds absolutely awesome and as though done by a pro lol, hope you can what im getting at??

I am still learning and any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading

DaveQ

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use all three EQ's when I'm mixing and if I had a mixer with four EQ's I would use all of them as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

Forgive me for sounding stupid :-/ lol but at what point would you take out the other EQ's? If i take out my Mid too early it pretty much takes out any vocals?! Id just love to impliment a smooth transition everytime, but for some reason i dont get it?!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I usually run a loop set just before the first major phase change in a song. When I start that loop the EQ's are usually (not always) turned to about 9:00. Then I'll slowly adjust them in over time taking some away from the playing song. I usually play deep house which I think lends itself to long three or four minute blends.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

Im mixing Progressive house at the minute, i too run an 8 beat loop on the cued deck but i generally have had my High/Mid the same on both tracks 14:00ish (could this be the cause of the poppin??) then on a 1 count close to the end of a playing track cut the bass but at the same time bring in the bass on the cued?! Its not too bad of a technique i suppose bearin in mind ive only been messing around for 4months on top of a full time job lol. Feel free to have a listen of my most recent mixtape: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g26a34 (**CLICK THE BLUE DOWNLOAD LINK IN THE MIDDLE**)

Tech Guru

yea you're clipping/distorting. The best way to do that is, first of all check your "gain" levels and keep them under the "red" and, in terms of EQing try to avoid going past 12 o' clock. I know some ppl may say differently but that is technically the best way to do it.

I also bring in my tracks with EQ knobs at 9 o' clock like Photojojo.
    The other thing you have to keep in mind is if you're bringing in pieces of different songs, they have to be in the correct "key" otherwise they'll clash with eachother. So even if you have a "clean transition" in terms of you're using your EQ knobs, it'll sound bad.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Student

Thanks for the advice guys, its all appreciated! In terms of 'Key', is there a level of key? Like I said I'm not too far away from what you have said. Im still learning and will be for some time! I love music and there is no better feelin than good feedback on a mix etc. I'll play around an see where I get thanks again.

Tech Guru

an advanced technique is to change the key with the Key knob in traktor, but that requires one to have a very trained ear.

the other way is to use "key recognition" software to find out what key a song is in and then use a "camelot wheel" to decide what songs would be good to transition to.

"Key" refers to the base chord that the song is in. If you change the key, you change the overall pitch of a track. If you mess with the key knob you'll know what I'm talking about.

A way to more easily transition between songs in clashing keys is to wait for your main track to get to a drum part, loop it, then bring in the next track. That way you really don't even have to bother with the key since there's no vocals or synths in the way.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.