Soundcard of the S4 VS CDjs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Thumbs down Soundcard of the S4 VS CDjs

Hi all,

Last friday I brought my S4 for a DJ set after a DJ using Pioneer CDjs + DJM. I'v been extremely disappointed by the quality of my sound (internal soundcard of the S4) in comparison to the CDJs ... not a problem of gain (knob of the S4 not at its maximal position) but of the clearness of the sound... At the beginning of my set the sound engineer adjusted the lack of the LOW EQ's of the S4 with the DJM, but my sound was muffled ...

I know the other DJ converted his MP3 320 to WAV so we had equivalent audio files (although a few DJs think that an MP3 320 converted to WAV is better than an MP3 320 only)

Has anyone noticed the same thing ? I will try the soundcard Audio 6 DJ next time, maybe the solution.

JD

First off, converting you 320 mp3s to wav does not equal wav. Now if they were kept as wavs then that is different. so that is most likely not the problem. In fact, I would go so far to say he lost quality by converting them like that. Dumb idea.

I don't own an s4 but I would imagine the card in it is of the same quality as their other cards. And that is high quality sound.

CDs over NI soundcards....dunno. I've never been able to hear a difference
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Was the s4 routed through the same house mixer?

btw, its pointless to convert your mp3s to wave files.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Tech Convert

@Gryz : I agree, 320 converted to wav does not equal wav, so we both used MP3.

@CaptainMidnight : The S4 was routed through through the same mixer ( DJM 800, S4 = Channel 1 with Low EQ at 1 o'clock, CDJS = channels 2 & 3)

Tech Wizard

Check you internal level, than you hardware main. Also check your cables, I find that 1/4's sound better than rca's.
    I swear that my S4 sounds just as good or better than my friends 800/2000's.

I have experienced both the s4 and pioneer djm-900 and cdj800mkII.

I can definitely notice a better sound quality comming out of the cdj vs s4.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Wizard

From personal experience I always sound better on my S4 than the ppl that jump on the CDJs, but thats might because most people use there decks like this guy http://youtu.be/JvDmjc16ysA (:11 secs - :13 secs on the mixers PFL's is what im talking about).
    Level yourself out, check your cables/connections if you don't sound right.
    I know I'm a NI fanboy, But I also use both the S4 CDJ's on a regular basis.
    If you can hear a noticeable difference in audio between the two, you either got robot ears or something isn't set up or working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Razehell View Post

o man that is soo red i would really like to slap him -.-

something makes me think you should turn down the master gain in traktor

Tech Guru

ehh i notice my s4 doesnt sound as good as my audio 4.....i think the outputs are a little hotter on the a4 and maybe its just that. I def noticed the difference changing from a rane 68 to the s4 one night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast