What MF Mapping are you using alongside your S4?

View Poll Results: Do the S4 and MidiFighter play well together?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definetly!

13 65.00%
  • Moderately

5 25.00%
  • Ah... So-So, not so much :/

1 5.00%
  • Not at all!

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Question What MF Mapping are you using alongside your S4?

Fellow S4 and MF users,

I am just wondering what mapping you are using and how you use your MF alongside your S4?

I just received my S4 and am still getting used to banging out mixes on it (pretty simply thanks to the golden Golden intro DVD) and am just trying to figure out why I'm having some problems with effects being routed and etc while using my S4 along with the Instagrat + Deckalized mapping ( http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...hlight=mapping )

Any examples would be awesome and would help me to figure out what mapping is best for me!

I used to have TP 1.2.7 and a numark total control + 2 MF's which seemed to work fine, now I need to figure out how to integrate my MF's with my S4!

Thanks to the forum for all the help in advance!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP
    NI Kontrol S4 + 2 MFClassics + 1 MFSpectra

Tech Convert

Smile

Hi Hawaibboy,

As we seem to have a simalar upgrade path of equipment- I went Numark Omni Control + MF to Kontrol S4 + MF so I was in the same position a while back.
    I ended up using a custom mapping with the following set up- it works for me but Im sure every body has different needs.

Bank 1- Instant Grat Deck A
    Bank 2- Instant Grat Deck B
    Bank 3- Custom map giving play /pause, hotcues 1-4 for both decks AB and couple of filters (for general mixing)
    Bank 4 - Custom map controlling Deck D sample deck. (keeping some IG effects)

As I mainly mix on two decks with the odd the sample drop on deck D this map works for me. Ive never really got on well with the deckalised mapping so i just deleted the fuctions I didnt use on the on the Instant Grat and added my own.

So basically I use bank 3 for general mixing- flicking to bank 1or2 for a bit of mashing and messing combos, then flick to bank 4 for a few sample drops and then back to bank 3 for the next track.

Be interesting to hear other thoughts on this set up. Good luck

Domino

Good timing on bringing this sort of thing up, I'm waiting for my midi fighter to be delivered so be good to see what the easiest/best way of using it with the S4
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DominoD7 View Post
    Hi Hawaibboy,

As we seem to have a simalar upgrade path of equipment- I went Numark Omni Control + MF to Kontrol S4 + MF so I was in the same position a while back.
    I ended up using a custom mapping with the following set up- it works for me but Im sure every body has different needs.

Bank 1- Instant Grat Deck A
    Bank 2- Instant Grat Deck B
    Bank 3- Custom map giving play /pause, hotcues 1-4 for both decks AB and couple of filters (for general mixing)
    Bank 4 - Custom map controlling Deck D sample deck. (keeping some IG effects)

As I mainly mix on two decks with the odd the sample drop on deck D this map works for me. Ive never really got on well with the deckalised mapping so i just deleted the fuctions I didnt use on the on the Instant Grat and added my own.

So basically I use bank 3 for general mixing- flicking to bank 1or2 for a bit of mashing and messing combos, then flick to bank 4 for a few sample drops and then back to bank 3 for the next track.

Be interesting to hear other thoughts on this set up. Good luck

Domino
    This is an interesting way to go! Thanks for sharing! I like this idea and I too am thinking of something similar. One thing for me though is I tend to use all 8 cue points! I like to have them act as reminders where I like to mix songs in and out as well as on samples. Now that I have the sample decks though I'm not sure if I'll need them all now! Lol thanks for sharing!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    Good timing on bringing this sort of thing up, I'm waiting for my midi fighter to be delivered so be good to see what the easiest/best way of using it with the S4
    So far it has been a little of a struggle for me to figure out what mapping to use. They all seem like they would work fine with an S4 but the S4 seems to do one of two things:
    1)already covers the control on an MF
    2)can't correct the FX mapping issue AKA: deck A is routed to fx bank 2 Because of MF mapping but you can't get deck A unrouted to fx 2 with the S4.

I'm trying to figure something out and if I do, I'll let everyone know!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiibboy View Post
    This is an interesting way to go! Thanks for sharing! I like this idea and I too am thinking of something similar. One thing for me though is I tend to use all 8 cue points! I like to have them act as reminders where I like to mix songs in and out as well as on samples. Now that I have the sample decks though I'm not sure if I'll need them all now! Lol thanks for sharing!
    Yes I know what u mean 8 cues is good for showing all parts of the track. You could have bank3 as 8 cues for deckA and then Bank4 for deckB. I think I need another MF- that way I won't have to keep sacrificing different banks.
    I'm also using the S4 super knob TSI which uses on of the effect banks for some cool effects. That works really well with the IG mappings.
    Kontrol S4, DJTT Midifighter, 2 x Numark TTX, Numark Omni Control,Korg Nanopad, Nanokontrol, Korg KP3. Ipad with imaschine. Traktor 2.1
    Imac 2010 i3, Toshiba custom 4gb Latop.

Tech Wizard

Yes I know what u mean 8 cues is good for showing all parts of the track. You could have bank3 as 8 cues for deckA and then Bank4 for deckB. I think I need another MF- that way I won't have to keep sacrificing different banks.
    I'm also using the S4 super knob TSI which uses on of the effect banks for some cool effects. That works really well with the IG mappings.
    Yeah, I don't really beatjuggle or anything, but I use my cues as sort of manual loop points through out the song and as reminders about where to bring a song in and out. It would be awesome to just have the instant grat deckalized mapping work out, haven't had time to fiddle with it some yet (just had time to set up my S4) once I get some time in on the MF I'll keep people updated and let yall know how it goes!

As for 2 MF's, its totally a great way to go. I am sort of thinking of having the focus mapping on one and the IG on the other if I have to do that to get things working.

Aloha!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP

Tech Convert

I get what your saying, you use the 8 cues as indicators and dont nessacarily need to access them all at once to juggle. Thats a simalar theory to how I work- its nice having different markers at different places so you can you use tracks in different ways.

Let me know which way you go as I think it as Im still not 100% on my layout and open to ideas.

Peace.
    Kontrol S4, DJTT Midifighter, 2 x Numark TTX, Numark Omni Control,Korg Nanopad, Nanokontrol, Korg KP3. Ipad with imaschine. Traktor 2.1
    Imac 2010 i3, Toshiba custom 4gb Latop.

Tech Wizard

I get what your saying, you use the 8 cues as indicators and dont nessacarily need to access them all at once to juggle. Thats a simalar theory to how I work- its nice having different markers at different places so you can you use tracks in different ways.

Let me know which way you go as I think it as Im still not 100% on my layout and open to ideas.

Peace.
    I used to use cues for manual looping (AKA hit the cue to jump back) and now in thinking of using the loop decks for that purpose but still want the option to do the manual cue looping.

I'm going to start a cue use thread in general once I'm off work in the general discussion forum explaining how I use cues (it's way different than how Ean does it in his videos)!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP

Tech Wizard

does anybody have any advice on how to use a midi fighter pro (beat masher) with an s4? The focus mapping works but I feel with all four fx slots open you lose too much from Traktor s4 software

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast