Where do you carry your music as a backup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where do you carry your music as a backup?

USB flash drive, SD Card, Portable Hard Drive, etc. ? What is the most convenient method for you? How important is it?
    | 2011 Macbook Pro 15" | Kontrol S4 | Traktor Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ-1000k |

i have a 1.5 Tb external HDD i back up everything on to. and i do this weekly, exchanging backups since i add music weekly. id have to say its pretty important.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Wizard
    my home is in CO , but i am traveling atm

VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!

I have done some self education and backed all my stuff up on a 9TB drive's

but i have exclusive ip for it so if i am traveling i can access it and grab and even play in sets ( if i have net access ) it took me some time to get everything the way i wanted it

IE: Genre -> tempo -> Quality -> date of production

it took me about 7 months to make it all right but after i got it started it was easy to keep clean , i even took the time to network my whole house so even my GF can watch a movie in the bath without messing with me spinning in Amsterdam

yes back up your whole collection plus docs folder every week or so
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I assume the original poster asked about carrying their backup. USB drives are cheap nowadays. As for other backups, me thinks that just doing a backup to a local drive is another failure point -- but then again I live in California. Hence having a backup on an outside location is more optimal. I use backblaze, cheap, fast and does the job. As a bonus, wherever I am on this planet I could download folders from the backblaze server as zip archives.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You could get a 16 gig USB stick, which would be waaaaaay more than enough for any set. You could also put the traktor exe and your Native Instruments documents folder on that stick and be ready to completely reinstall and get Traktor back to what your used to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I have 2 internal SSD's which I backup onto 2 external portable hard drives using carbon copy cloner
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Cool, I'll be backing all my stuff up on a Western Digital portable drive. I was thinking about and SD card since it's easier to carry around but I've had nothing but bad experiences with small memory cards.
    | 2011 Macbook Pro 15" | Kontrol S4 | Traktor Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ-1000k |

Quote Originally Posted by KidZgOt5waGG View Post
    Cool, I'll be backing all my stuff up on a Western Digital portable drive. I was thinking about and SD card since it's easier to carry around but I've had nothing but bad experiences with small memory cards.
    Me too. They corrupt like there's no tomorrow
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

I have a pair of 1TB hard drives. One on-site, one off-site that I swap out occasionally…they hold my long-term archives. I'm about to have to upgrade to 2TB drives for this purpose.

I have a separate 500GB time machine backup drive that stays on my desk and occasionally gets imaged to the archive drives.

As for backups at a gig…I keep recent recorded mixes on my iPhone, plus a stereo mini to dual-RCA adapter as well as RCA->TS adapters. If something happens mid-set, it takes about 3 or 4 seconds to get the audio going again, and then I have all the time in the world to fix issues with my gear or yell at the sound guy about his…which is usually me anyway.

I also have a bootable SSD in an external FW chassis that keeps another OS X system that I can use in a pinch. It has nothing installed on it but an old version of Traktor and an old version of my music library and is set up to use just a single X1 and an Audio 2 as a bare minimum to get me through the rest of a performance if the worst happens. It gets updated every 6 months or so and lives in my DJ bag. It would work in a pinch, but I don't fancy ever having to use it…I'd probably just let the set on my iPhone play out before I'd use it unless I was about to lose the gig for cheating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast