Budget Laptop

Thread: Budget Laptop

Default Budget Laptop

Hi

Looking to replace my ageing desktop with a Laptop I have a tight budget of around £200($320) but I'm happy to buy used. I currently use Ableton Live 8 Launchpad Edition with plans to upgrade to 8 soon. Looking on eBay I can buy something along the lines of a Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz 80GB 4GB RAM Windows XP. hoes that sound?

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Interference View Post
    Hi

Looking to replace my ageing desktop with a Laptop I have a tight budget of around £200($320) but I'm happy to buy used. I currently use Ableton Live 8 Launchpad Edition with plans to upgrade to 8 soon. Looking on eBay I can buy something along the lines of a Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz 80GB 4GB RAM Windows XP. hoes that sound?

Thanks
    I actually use a D630, Core2 2.2, 80GB, 4GB and it runs very well.

Win7 Ultimate (64 bit)

Nothing installed on it except TP2 and Chrome. I'm not familiar with Ableton stuff, does it currently hog memory on your desktop?

Would recommend for a budget laptop for sure.

Thanks for the info sounds like the dell should do the job nicely.

Just did a weekend event and ran TP2 8hrs straight without a glitch.

I use a Dell D830 (I believe same as the D630 but with a larger screen) with 3GB. It was a refurb unit and paid 200USD

Long live sub-$300 laptops that rock the house just as good as a $1500 unit.

I just got a Gateway with 6GB RAM, Phenom II QuadCore X4 N970 @ 2.1 GHz for $480. It runs TP2 without breaking a sweat. Be careful with TP2.1.1 update - I had problems with it and the multi-core processor.

I also had an Acer with Intel i3-380m (Dual Core) @2.5 GHz, also 6GB. Worked well but with minor, rare cracks (CPU would sometimes go in the red).

If you are looking for a better deal, I've bought laptops from www.tigerdirect.com before. They've got a rather large selection. Refurbished laptops are FTW.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    If you are looking for a better deal, I've bought laptops from www.tigerdirect.com before. They've got a rather large selection. Refurbished laptops are FTW.
    +1 on tiger direct! amazing store with great products...i built my tower with parts from them
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2