paid in full!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: paid in full!

Tech Mentor

Default paid in full!

I was wondering what sort of money the working dj's on here get in a night? what are your circumstances, resident or casual? paid in drinks, cash, etc?

I'm interested because I am about to start gigging at a small bar (at max it can hold is literally 40 people inside) a hole in the wall really. They still bring in alot of people due to outdoor seats (it's premium seating because it is on the main thoroughfare to the bigger places)

...anyway, should I set an hourly rate? or flat rate for the night? I have djed a couple of gigs before but still just starting out from the bedroom. I am being as professional as possible about it and would be keen to get some input as to what I should get paid and what I can expect.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Tech Wizard djcelebrityt@hotmail.com's Avatar

first step dont be too cheap as you will have hard time gettinng a rise find out what there entertainment buget is per night and go for 75% its a hard one cos if you are just starting out you need to make a name (old say a dj is only as good as their last tune they played)

The least I've gotten paid was $75. The most was $200. But I'm not a superstar DJ... yet (dunt dunt daaa).
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

How long will you be spinning in a night? How often? Is this for lounge music or to make people dance?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Get a set Fee for the evening. If the club has a power fail or Fire alarm and ends early (has happened to me at least 5 times over the years) you get paid in full.

Never accept drinks as payment. What if you need to drive there one night. The gig ends up costing YOU in expenses and it is a cheap way of paying a DJ. Maybe you dont wanna drink.

DJing per hour is rare in UK and payments are going down down down because of the state of the economy.

Tech Mentor

charge either by the hour, including setup and tear down or a flat rate with some sort of variable (% of drink sales or something like that) work it out so that the flat rate will bring you in slightly below the hourly but with the % of drink sales, takes you above.
    if you charge a flat rate make sure that there is a fairly set length of time for your performance and include something for if the gig lasts longer then that set time.. you dont want to charge $200 thinking its a 3 hour thing. and end up playing for 8 hours. the key is to make sure you are covered on every end and then have a contract. many people say contracts are not needed and such. VERY rarely will i play without a contract and only if i know and trust the person i am playing for. it keeps both parties safe by ensuring each party knows what they are and are not responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    the key is to make sure you are covered on every end and then have a contract

it keeps both parties safe by ensuring each party knows what they are and are not responsible for.
    +1

id just set a price for the night. thats how it works in hamz anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

If the place holds 40 ppl inside the place sounds tiny. To do a 4 hour set I would charge $60. Or workout a % off of the bar plus a min. For example you show up to dj, you get paid $50 and once they make 1k you get 5% or whatever you work out. I know dj's here in L.A. that get paid $20 for a 1-2 hr/set plus some drinks tix.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will let you know how it goes after talking to the guy. I imagine they have a set pay for each night as many dj's go through there. will keep you posted (excuse the pun!).
    Last edited by laurens; 03-05-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast