Aspiring Club DJ needs Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Aspiring Club DJ needs Help

Hey
    I've been reading up on DJ'ing a lot lately, and I'm now in the position on what do I start out with? At first I wanted the Mixtrack Pro to get started with, but after reading some more it seems that if I want to play in clubs I should start with what will be in the clubs and thats CDJs and turntables.
    Of course this will be a big price jump, but I feel it'll be worth it in the long run as I really do want to get into DJ'ing.

So my question to the pros out there is, what would be an ideal set up under $1000 for an aspiring club dj? Also Serato or Traktor? The only software I've messed with is Virtual DJ

Thanks

Banned

Don't be afraid to go the digital route, regardless of what people say.

With that being said, what are you playing and how are you planning to play it? If you're going to the Top40/Hip-Hop/Mashup route then Serato would be a safe bet.

BUT if you're going the EDM route and are planning to be dropping loops and samples while utilizing 4 decks then I would go the Traktor route.

Are you planning to go DVS or all in the box with a midi controller(s)?

Need more info mate!

Well you can also buy a pair of CDJ, a mixer and start mixing "standard".
    You will still be able to use Traktor/Serato if you want to, if you get CDJs that have a USB port for MIDI/HID control.

CDJ are a big first investment but if you are really intrested in DJing then, it's the best choice to learn the basics.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    CDJ are a big first investment but if you are really intrested in DJing then, it's the best choice to learn the basics.
    I think this is a moot point now a days to be honest. As long as you learn your gear, whatever the set up, you'll be fine and can learn the "basics" for your set up and go on from there.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Don't be afraid to go the digital route, regardless of what people say.

With that being said, what are you playing and how are you planning to play it? If you're going to the Top40/Hip-Hop/Mashup route then Serato would be a safe bet.

BUT if you're going the EDM route and are planning to be dropping loops and samples while utilizing 4 decks then I would go the Traktor route.

Are you planning to go DVS or all in the box with a midi controller(s)?

Need more info mate!
    The only reason I don't want to go digital is because I feel it would leave me unprepared for a club environment. If this is untrue then I'd definitely go the controller route.
    I am leaning toward the DVS setup since that is whats "standard" in clubs right?
    Im primarily a hip hop guy, but I'll also do techno and other genres of music. So Serato looks to be the better route.

Thanks for the response!

Banned

There is no standard in "Clubs" now a days, so don't be afraid to go the digital route. As long as you can perform and keep the crowd happy and coming back clubs don't care what you use.

If you're going the controller route then Traktor is the way to go. More options and a lot more flexible.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    There is no standard in "Clubs" now a days, so don't be afraid to go the digital route. As long as you can perform and keep the crowd happy and coming back clubs don't care what you use.

If you're going the controller route then Traktor is the way to go. More options and a lot more flexible.
    So a controller + Traktor... the DDJ T1 ? Would that get me prepared for what might be set up in the club?
    Thats my main goal is to play clubs and live shows with artists

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
    Hey
    I've been reading up on DJ'ing a lot lately, and I'm now in the position on what do I start out with? At first I wanted the Mixtrack Pro to get started with, but after reading some more it seems that if I want to play in clubs I should start with what will be in the clubs and thats CDJs and turntables.
    Of course this will be a big price jump, but I feel it'll be worth it in the long run as I really do want to get into DJ'ing.

So my question to the pros out there is, what would be an ideal set up under $1000 for an aspiring club dj? Also Serato or Traktor? The only software I've messed with is Virtual DJ

Thanks
    Where do you live ? and are you willing to buy second hand ?
    I Don't Wan To Go The Ocean ... Thers King Fish Out Derr Man

Banned

Well, it doesn't matter what clubs have as you'd be bringing your set up with you. But the DDJ T1 isn't a bad choice, or the S4. But I would recommend picking up a second controller to compliment your set up as well, like a X1 or K2 so you have access to all you're controls without having to use a shift button

Just as a side note regarding "club standard" the club I go to regularly has 3 DJs that are always there, none of them use turntables or CDJs, everything is controller.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast