Traktor Scratch BPM Rebound?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor Scratch BPM Rebound?

Dunno if I have something setup wrong or this is just the way the software works... With TSP the software BPM is a bit slow to react and jumps beyond the actual value whenever the BPM changes before leveling out. For example, if I quickly go from 0 to +8% pitch, the software goes up to about 11% and then takes a moment to pull back down to +8% where it should be. Much worse is with slight nudges back and having the track jump up to about +3% before leveling back to 0. So, if I do short, quick nudges back, the track will actually move forward from the bpm rebounding back up. Everything is fine with vinyl and SSL so its not the TTs (SSL has a slight rebound but its only noticeable by watching the BPM readout, not enough to be impact the mixing).

Wondering if this is normal with TSP or if there's something I can do to get a quicker, more accurate timecode response.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Bump

And to clarify, even if you don't have a way to "fix" this, I would just like to know from any TSP user if this happens for you or not.

The behaviour of the deck is down to wow-and-flutter and TT torque.
    The BPM displayed in Traktor is an average over time.
    If you stop looking at the BPM display then you'll start mixing with the TT and not the numbers again.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    The behaviour of the deck is down to wow-and-flutter and TT torque.
    The BPM displayed in Traktor is an average over time.
    If you stop looking at the BPM display then you'll start mixing with the TT and not the numbers again.
    with slight nudges back and having the track jump up to about +3% before leveling back to 0. So, if I do short, quick nudges back, the track will actually move forward from the bpm rebounding back up.
    Like I said, its not just visual, it actually makes mixing different than using vinyl or SSL. For instance, if I have track A playing ahead of track B at the same BPM, I have to nudge track A behind track B and let it "rebound" back into time, which is kind of awkward. If you use TSP, would you mind sharing if the same thing happens for you or not? I can learn to compensate for the delay, just trying to figure out if its supposed to be happening.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.

I haven't got my TT on me, so I can't corroborate atm.
    All I can say, is that if you are in absolute mode, the absolute position of the needle on the record is the absolute position of the MP3 in the track. It should be no different (if you take the GUI out of the equation) than mixing on vinyl.
    You can change the BPM display in the deck preferences between a smoothed and non-smoothed one if I remember.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

What is your setup mate?

What kind of TT's you got?

Whats you latency settings etc?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

2011 MBP/TSP2/Audio 8/1200 M3Ds, latency at default 512/17.4ms (tried a diff latencies, didn't change anything)

Tried just listening to the timecode signal straight through and it seems like it actually is "rebounding" with changes (or I could just be making myself hear it, not a super accurate evaluation process lol), so I guess everything is as it should be.

mmm...solid setup....sounds about right.

Maybe try your latency at about 11ms?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Watch the dots, it's what Technics do when you apply extra resistance to the platter and let go again. The deck compensates for the extra resistance then when you release it, it takes a moment to readjust to the lower resistance.
    Took me a while to adjust in the same way when I switched from Vestax decks with a pitch bend joystick to Technics, watching the phase meter too much instead of just listening when making corrections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast