Traktor Pro v. Serato Scratch Live (US club use)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor Pro v. Serato Scratch Live (US club use)

So I was talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ and I had mentioned to him I was finally about to plunk down some money for a controller and Traktor Pro and he immediately mentioned that Serato Scratch Live was far more commonplace in clubs in the US.

Is this accurate?

Tech Mentor

You can bring whatever you want to a club as far as i know.
    And you should use whatever you like.

Tech Guru

Serato is more the club standard in the bigger clubs. You can bring your own sound card and controller if you like but always check with management. If your worried that learning on Traktor will hinder you in some way just remember that the majority of clubs don't have either. Most clubs are still on CDJs of some kind especially the smaller venues. I wouldn't expect to play too many places with nice setups though so get used to either bringing your own gear or being very versatile on what you can mix on.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Mentor

Good points to know.

SSL is more common here, never seen a Traktor box for a club install yet. Either way, most just have CDJs and no resident soundcard. But you're comparing DVS to software + controller so its not much of a comparison.

Until Native Instruments brings out a box with two USB's, there'll always be a slight problem with changeovers. They're kinda repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot on this issue.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Pioneer or Allen and Heath need to make a mixer that supports both, all clubs will install it
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Pioneer or Allen and Heath need to make a mixer that supports both, all clubs will install it
    In a perfect world yeah but... i dont see that happening anytime soon.

i would think it'd be much easier to make a mixer that can have 2 sound cards with 4 stereo outputs each plugged into it efficiently.

Al you would need to do really is have 8 stereo channel inputs (2 per channel) and make all of them phono/line switchable.

First…changeovers are easy. Run an FOH mixer like you probably should anyway.

Second…changeovers are easy anyway…as long as the DJ isn't a moron. I seriously don't understand why this thing has ever been an issue. Run live sound for anything once and you'll learn enough to change over anything you'll find in a DJ booth without silence.

It's impossible if there's not an FOH mixer, but I've changed over an entire booth…including the mixer…with no silence. In the dark. In a club. While performing. It helped that the FOH mixer was at the back of the DJ booth instead of out in the middle of nowhere, but still. It's not that hard.

If we had been able to leave the mixer in place, you could have done it without the FOH mixer.

Seriously…why is this an issue? Are DJs so convinced that they're such amazing artists that they don't need to learn anything about the technical side of what they're doing today? Come on. Not knowing how to use a freaking cable pisses me off more and makes us all look more retarded than constantly arguing if auto sync is cheating.

Third…CDJs dominate anything that uses a computer by factor of like 3 to 1. In the EDM world where I've been, SSL beats TSP slightly with Ableton coming in a close 3rd…but there are still 3 times as many CDJ-only DJs as anything using a computer combined. And I've never seen anyone IN REAL LIFE (other then me and one guy I spin with) use any controller-only setup and not suck.
    Last edited by mostapha; 10-14-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast